Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Insomnia

Insomnia

Hi everyone!

I'm FRR (FlamingRedRose), but you can just refer to me as Rose. :)

Anyways, the reason I am posting this is to get some advice: Recently I've been staying up WAYYY too long than normal.. I once stayed for 24 Hours STRAIGHT, if I get the chance to sleep, my sleep only ranges from 4-6 Hours....

This is greatly affecting me and my last year of school... I don't know what to do to go to sleep in time..

I even drank 4 tables of calming nerves medicine that is also used for insomniacs to sleep (it's safe to use), but it didn't work on me AT ALL...

Any advice on what I should do?

I don't feel any stress or anything... So I don't know... :/

I often have sleep issues and my daughter is a reg'd massage therapist who uses a lot of essential oils in her clinic so I asked her advice. She said get some lavender essential oil and put some on the bottom of your feet at bedtime and it'll help you sleep. Well, this actually works, so you might want to try it!

Melatonin and warm milk also are sleep aids.

Avoid caffeine for at least 6 hrs before bed. Avoid alcohol and drugs. Get up earlier. Exercise and see a doctor to rule out physiologic, mood or other disorders. Do bipolar or thyroid disorders run in your family?

Make sure you have good sleep hygiene. Cool, dark, quiet comfortable bedroom, calming relaxing evening routines, no heavy meals 4 hrs before bed, etc.
    Originally Posted by FRR
    I once stayed for 24 Hours STRAIGHT, if I get the chance to sleep, my sleep only ranges from 4-6 Hours....

Originally Posted by melancholy123
    I often have sleep issues and my daughter is a reg'd massage therapist who uses a lot of essential oils in her clinic so I asked her advice. She said get some lavender essential oil and put some on the bottom of your feet at bedtime and it'll help you sleep. Well, this actually works, so you might want to try it!

Melatonin and warm milk also are sleep aids.
    Thanks, I'll try that!!

Originally Posted by Wiseman2
    Avoid caffeine for at least 6 hrs before bed. Avoid alcohol and drugs. Get up earlier. Exercise and see a doctor to rule out physiologic, mood or other disorders. Do bipolar or thyroid disorders run in your family?

Make sure you have good sleep hygiene. Cool, dark, quiet comfortable bedroom, calming relaxing evening routines, no heavy meals 4 hrs before bed, etc.

I don't drink any coffee, I've never done any drugs, I can't drink alcohol because I feel terrible afterwards.

I'm exercising, and those problems do not run in my family and I don't have those problems.

I don't eat too heavy meals for dinner.

How am I suppose to have good sleep hygiene if I can't sleep until the morning???

Good question to ask your doctor or therapist.
    Originally Posted by FRR
    How am I suppose to have good sleep hygiene if I can't sleep until the morning???

Platinum Member
    I have had insomnia intermittently throughout my life. I've had a multiple year stretch now where it's extremely rare. I've done many many things (non-medicinal) preventatively and then when I can't sleep. Almost too many to list. I also have taken meds -meaning the typical sleep meds (low dose never for long periods of time) at certain times in my life but once I had a young child I didn't feel comfortable taking those so that I could be alert if he woke up, etc -so that was never more than a very short term solution (pre-kids I also took them rarely, just not a meds person). I did start taking a magnesium supplement a few years ago for digestive reasons but it's also supposed to be calming (my sleep issues that I resolved predated this by a couple of years so it's not "just" the supplement).

One thing I do is 4-7-8 breathing Weil method. Google it. I also try to "practice" it even when I don't need it for sleeping issues/related issues.

Good luck and certainly ask your doctor and do some research in reputable medical sites. Mayo Clinic for example.

I have a similar problem to you and has had problems sleeping for many years so I'm curious to read the answers in this thread.

Something that has helped me a bit was taking melatonin pills. I don't know if you have access where you live
    In my home country you can get without prescription but where I live now you need prescription. It helps regulating your sleep and sleeping faster and better.

Good sleeping hygiene seems to help too such as no screens or devices at least 1h before sleeping or if not possible install apps that turn off the blue light in your screens (I use twilight on my cellphone for example) and waking up always at the same time if possible. And exercise frequently.

I have trouble following my own advice on sleeping but I think it helps.

Bronze Member
    I've had bad insomnia for coming up to 20 years. God knows I know all about it. In my case - I had to go on prescription meds to cope and am still on them/will be on them for the rest of my life. And if one more person tells me to try melatonin or warm milk (BLEUGHHGHG) before bed I'll scream!

You can try the heart coherence exercise. You can google it as well. The best trick is to have a clock in your bedroom that make sounds every second so you don't need to use your phone or any other devices that could prevent you to sleep.

You breath in 5 seconds (at the same rate as the clock) and you breath out 5 seconds. The best is to do it 5 minutes. You can make it longer or shorter.

The 10 seconds of breathing in and out are there to align your heart beat to your brain pulsation. It's an exercise you need to do everyday and you can do it multiple times a day. I started doing it and i fall asleep very quick.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice