Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice

Thread: Many people hate me and it's my own fault - how do I move on?

Many people hate me and it's my own fault - how do I move on?

Thank you for reading my post. Before I begin (and I feel pathetic for saying this) but please could you go easy on me as I'm feeling very fragile right now. That's not to say I don't want honest answers, but please don't be unnecessarily harsh.

Recently, I let down my best friend (who is more like a sister) in a major way. I let myself down and I let down everyone who knows us. To cut a long story short, I drank alcohol to the point where I don't remember most of the night and I don't remember a thing about the end of the night. I wouldn't usually drink that much and I definitely wouldn't if I went out into town as I know it's not safe. But it was only my me and my friend in the house so I didn't think anything bad could really happen even if I drank too much. I thought it was safe to let myself go. But that was a huge mistake. Her husband came home drunk and apparently kissed me and I was kissing him back (more than once). Not in front of my friend, but she found out (the way she found out is a whole other story. I didn't even know what had happened until she told me about it). I honestly don't understand it. I've never had any attraction to him or feelings towards him (and obviously still don't!) and I genuinely know that when sober I would never do anything to hurt my friend. I love her so much. I am completely disgusted with myself and honestly so confused. I really don't understand.

That was 5 months ago. Since then, I haven't been drunk and I will never be again. I was drinking every night and getting drunk every weekend but I had no idea that I was capable of losing myself so much as nothing like that had ever happened before. Now, I will never drink too much again.

I have a bf and when he found out, he was shocked and upset at first, but he stood by me as he knows how out of character it was. My friend was obviously too hurt to do the same. She told everyone she's close to and also people she's not that close to (all of her colleagues, friends of friends, etc.,) - A LOT of people. Word spread and even more know now.

My friend has now said that she wants to try to move passed it and be friends again. We've both acknowledged that it will take work, but we love each other and have been through so much together.

I am obviously so grateful to have her back in my life. I don't know what I would do without her.

The problem is, her family and friends are less forgiving. I completely understand it - they care about her and they don't know me like she does. Basically all of them now hate me and think I'm an awful person - and again, that is a lot of people.

I'm now too ashamed to go out in public. I've withdrawn completely. I don't go to places I used to go. I've been depressed since I found out what happened. I've suffered with insomnia since. I can't concentrate at work, it's on my mind all the time. When I'm not at work, I just stay in the house. I recently felt strong enough to go out and try a new activity where I'd meet new people, but I was just paranoid that someone would know someone who knows what happened, and they'd eventually find out. So I withdrew again and won't be going back.

I can't move area because my son goes to school here and his family are here. So I have to stay here. But how do I go on like this? It's been 5 months and I don't see a light at the end of the tunnel. I just don't know how to carry on like this for much longer, never mind forever. Maybe I don't deserve to. I just don't know. My bf says I shouldn't care what they think but I can't help it. I knew all of my friends through her, now they hate me. her family, who I've known since I was a teenager, now hate me. People who I don't even know now know who I am and view me as a horrible snake. I'm not close to my parents or siblings. I feel like I've really f'd my life up forever and I don't know how to deal with it. I feel like a shell of who I used to be.

I hope that this post doesn't make it seem that I care about my own feelings more than those of the people I hurt - trust me, my main concern is them. I'm just not sure how to move on. I know that I should just accept this as my punishment, but I don't know how to live like this. It's been months and I don't see it ever ending. Even if they're not thinking about it now, they will when they see me. If my name gets brought up, that's what will come to mind. I just don't know how to move on.

I can only say: Therapy, therapy, therapy.

This is less about what you think others are thinking and more about your personal guilt and shame and essentially projecting that out to everyone around you.
    Your boyfriend forgave you, your friend forgave you. Now YOU have to forgive yourself. Stop self flagellating, it's not going to do anything for you or anyone who cares about you. While you are busy with all this self loathing, you are ignoring people who love you - your bf, your son, your friends.

You aren't the first person on this planet to get drunk and do some really stupid sh$t that you'd never even think about when sober. People have done much worse than you. Guess what? Everyone moves on because....stones and glass houses..... Nobody really hates you, nobody is really a saint who has never done anything stupid while drunk, etc. Things happen, then the dust settles and everyone moves on to the next bit of new drama. Focus on this - you friend forgave you and resumed the friendship, so others will follow in time.

Platinum Member
    You really need to forgive yourself. As mentioned, your friend and bf have, and others will in time.

You have taken positive steps regarding the alcohol, and That's a great first step.

Platinum Member
    Seconding therapy, a psychologist can help you work through these thoughts

Also seconding good job cutting down on the drink, thatís a very good reaction to have

Replied in your identical thread: "How do I ever move on with life after drunk kissing my friend's husband?" [Register to see the link]

I agree with the others, youíre being way too hard on yourself. Weíve all (well, a lot of us) done stupid sh*t when we were far too drunk. Stuff that our conscious mind canít even understand. *raises hand* Been there.

Youíve stopped getting drunk, youíve apologized profusely, itís time to forgive yourself. Everyone makes mistakes. No one should have to pay for their mistakes forever.

You didnít murder anyone...you donít deserve a life sentence.

Most people aren't going to remember or care about this, so isolating yourself is only keeping YOU mired in your own head--where you are not behaving as your own friend.

While I'd avoid any gatherings involving the friend's family, I'd make a point of going out in public, especially with the friend. She's already 'endorsed' you, so carrying that endorsement with you as you rebuild your own external life is your best bet.

If you believe that that's too much to ask of yourself, then hiring professional help to learn some tools and techniques for managing your own internal spin would be worth the effort. You can also work out with the therapist how you might handle any public confrontations in the rarest odds of a 'worst case scenario'. Then you'll feel more equipped to manage your inner dialog as you venture out.

There are no judges or juries to whom you are accountable on this except for the ones you're holding in your own head. Recognizing this and doing the work to liberate yourself from drilling yourself into a deeper hole would be the wisest investment you can make.

Head high.

10. 03-07-2019, 09:48 AM

Platinum Member
    Lemon, I also think therapy will help immensely. But especially go to a therapist that specializes on addiction therapy. They will guide you to self forgiveness while also encouraging you to take responsibility for your choices (which it sounds like you are doing).

This also sends a message to others that you are serious about making sure this (or worse) will never happen again.

My niece and SIL go to support groups and it really helps them. Both have been clean/sober for a few years.

Even if you don't view yourself as an addict/alcoholic, that type of support will help you get past this!

Give Advice
Ask For Advice