Need advice on stress management

If someone could please guide me in the right direction to deal with stress, I would be greatly appreciative.

I am more stressed about how I am feeling mentally and how I am reacting to the stress than I am about the actual situations causing me stress.

I struggle with anxiety and depression and I can feel myself spiralling. I would like to say and think that I know everything will work out for the best and that everything will be okay and that I can handle it; but I am losing my mind.

I'm losing sleep, I am drained, I am so consumed in what I have going on that I don't have the mental compacity to think about anything else.

I have done everything that I can possibly do to solve the actual problems I'm stressing about. So I'm good there.

I have tried to distract myself with tv shows and books, walking the dog, oils, hot baths and showers, exercise, etc.

But I'm not a "dont think about it and it'll get better" person. I like to face my problems head on and deal with them.

I also don't drink, smoke anything or take drugs. Please dont suggest I smoke pot or use cbd oil.

Stress is natural temporary state of being human.

Like fear, courage, empathy, love etc.

Add our current culture and next thing you know your trapped in and endless downward spiral.

Need advice?

After a normal period of time, stop stressing.

Yoga and guided meditations, focussing on the breath have REALLY helped me :)

Check out jason stephenson and michael sealey on youtube, their meditations and hypnosis sessions are invaluable and free. Do one of the half hour ones and let me know if it helps :D

I agree with the yoga and meditation. You may also be able to find free meditation classes in your city. You can also look into Meetups, I am sure they would have something.

Stress is a choice, it is a perspective that we adopt willingly in which we say to ourselves "can't do". If you let go of the outcome, you release yourself from its grip, a lot of things have to go wrong for all the wheels to fall off the wagon, chances are if only one falls off the wagon will carry on. Don't focus on the negative worst case scenario, disastercising will not improve anything.

Focus on the present, anxiety is future focused, staying stuck in the future is as unproductive as staying stuck in the past.

Depression is hindsight focus, stuck in the past and letting regret over what should've could've been overshadow what is. Let go of what cannot be changed.

Obsessing can become a habit, a way of avoiding something we don't want to do or feel we cannot do successfully, if you are obsessive about something, consider what it is you are avoiding.

Perfectionism can cause a lot of stress, it is an imperfect pursuit, the moment you set out for perfect you increase the certainty of failure.

Short term therapy may help you sort some things out and give you more stress coping techniques. Also make an appt with your doctor for a physical to rule out physiological causes. Agree, definitely do not use drugs or trendy quack remedies/marketing gimmicks. Get real, evidence based help.

I have tried to distract myself with tv shows and books, walking the dog, oils, hot baths and showers, exercise, etc. Please dont suggest I smoke pot or use cbd oil.

With anxiety and depression we can spiral into a hole long after the triggering stressful events have passed.

I have asked similar questions on here and received some great suggestions that all contribute to a feeling of well being, but by far the most effective method of stress management for me is regular social activity. Please ensure in your endeavour to take care of your needs you are not isolating yourself with "me time".

You might dread calling a friend or going to meet a family member for coffee when you are feeling stressed but that soon fades away into laughter or engrossing conversation. It's a great way to get out of your rut and strengthen bonds with those that you love. If you are worried you will bring them down with your mood, let them know you're having a rough time. Your good friends will do what they can to be supportive and caring.

I also second the suggestions to meditate and be mindful. Focusing on your body/breathing or external stimuli can be a great respite from our mental turmoil.

Cognitive Behavioural Therapy can be very useful too. If you are still struggling see your doctor for medication.

• 3 weeks later...

Working out regularly is one of the best ways to relax your body and mind. Plus, exercise will improve your mood. Eating a regular, well-balanced diet will help you feel better in general. It may also help control your moods. Your meals should be full of vegetables, fruit, whole grains, and lean protein for energy.

I've since changed my lifestyle. I do cardio every other day without fail, diet, eat healthy (lean proteins, veg, fruit, some whole grains, cut the starch, drink a lot of water), immerse myself in a few hobbies time permitting and when my dog was alive and young, I took her on 2 walks per day morning and evening. Cut out tv watching and reduce Internet usage which are time traps.

After all that, enjoy a social life with a few friends every now and then. Keep in touch with them and don't lose those ties. Change it up and have new yet safe life's experiences. Learn to enjoy life.

Cut out tv watching and reduce Internet usage which are time traps.

Especially tv!

Doing so will greatly reduce your stress.

They're all selling something, which no matter how much you buy you'll never be happy.

True happiness is the enemy of most tv show production.

I am so sorry you are dealing with this. Anxiety and depression are very difficult to deal with. Have you tried talking with a professional about what you are going through? This can help so much because they can try to figure out the root of it and figure out ways to help you overcome it. I hope everything gets better!

Archived