LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Smoking

Platinum Member
    Sorry I would leave him.Date a nonsmoker. You are fundamentally not compatible. Non-smokers outnumber smokers in the US -- you can find someone else.

Smoking is indeed an addiction and it's not something you can "make him quit" if he doesn't want it himself. Nicotine is addictive. It sounds like he was a smoker when you met him. If you can't handle it then you need to break up, not make him change when he doesn't want to.

To my knowledge, vaping is not necessarily healthier, it's just that not enough research has been done about it yet because it's a relatively new thing, so the long-term health effects haven't been studied properly yet (e.g. lung cancer can take years to develop so we don't really know yet what will happen to those who use it). However, the flavorings used are speculated to be harmful.

Regardless, his body, his choice. And the same goes for you. If you can't accept him as he is, it would be best to part ways.

Originally Posted by SherrySher
    No, you don't force people to do as you say.

You've got two options here, accept that he's a smoker and stop badgering him about it or end things if it bothers you too much.
    I completely agree! IF you were aware is him being a smoker when you first started dating, you knew what you were getting yourself into. You canít force him to quit. He will quit when he wants. He compromised and started to vape. That shows heís trying.
    Iím not a huge fan of smoking either. Hell I said that if I ever settled with a man that smoking would be a deal breaker. But here I am...dating a man who smokes occasionally. But him not quitting smoking isnít more important than our relationship.

Have you tried just talking to him about doing it away from you? Maybe trying to wash up after he smiles so you donít smell it as much? If heís willing to make changes to make it a little more ďokĒ...then you need to step up and do the same. Find a solution to how both of you can be comfortable with his smoking habits.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Give Advice
Ask For Advice