Is this discrimination?

guilt

Me and my mates all applied to the same sixth form in October. A lot of other kids in my year applied too and the deadline was at the start of January. In the application they asked my refreee (my tutor) if I had any mental health issues. I’ve veen diganosed with depression and see a therapist (my school knows this) so my tutor ticked this box.

About four weeks ago people started getting interview letters from the sixth form. All my mates got one, except for me. I live quite far away from the sixth form and my school so I assumed it would just take a bit longer to come. But then, one of my mates who literally lives on my road got their interview letter two weeks ago.

I’m starting to wonder if maybe I didn’t get an interview letter because of my mental health issues? Not to sound like an ass but I have better grades than my friends and I have A’s in the subjects I chose for A-Levels. Am I overthinking or?

(For the people who aren’t from the UK: sixth form is the last two years of high school and you take three / four subjects there called A Levels before going to university)

Grades are not the only thing they will consider. There may be any number of things on the form they use for grading that doesn't measure up. Your friends may have given a more fitting personal statement or included a more positive reference for example.

Did you keep a copy of your application? Were there any errors (in the address for example). It goes without saying that if you're out of the catchment area your application will be less favourable.

I would call the department that deals with applications and confirm that they have received it, they have processed it and sent you a decision. Also ask them to confirm your contact details to ensure they have the correct ones and ask if you are within the catchment area. Your friend on your street may be within the boundary even if you are not. If they are operating on a first come first served basis you may be late to hear from them if your application wasn't one of the first.

Also you may wish to double check about the mental health question. I don't think it's legal for them to ask a third party and it sure as hell isn't legal for a third party to disclose any of your health details unless you have expressed your consent in writing. Even third party health services (such as family planning) request explicit permission to pass on details to your doctor! Ask for a copy of your application from the 6th form.

Archived