Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to alleviate stress

Platinum Member

How to alleviate stress

Work has been unbearably busy. I can barely breathe and it's stressing me out. What do you guys do that is effective?

Platinum Member
    Same here this past week especially! Sorry! I exercise daily and I increased my intake of water so I'm doing 4 24oz bottles a day and no diet soda anymore (maybe once or twice a year -used to be a regular diet coke drinker.). Also I do a lot of self talk reminding myself that I can do this etc. of course if youíre stressed because itís an unhealthy work environment thatís another thing entirely. Iíve experienced that too. Right now Iím not itís just been way too busy and stressful. Is there a particular project youíre working on thatís triggering this?

Platinum Member
    Exercise, anything physical helps.

Keep joy in your life. And walk away from the work projects every day and do something 180 degrees what what is stressing you out.

The only thing that works for me is distance running. Once I get that run in...I can deal with anything. Sleep in, skip a run? I'm crabby/double-stressed and anxious, the entire day. I do other forms of cross training too, crossfit, HIIT, strength, yoga, etc., but the running brings the stress relief.

Keeping my diet clean, staying hydrated, and trying to always live in the moment......also help. My work is stressful, my family situation is stressful atm, and now in the midwest our horrible winter is also stressing me out.

I'd suggest find your way of working out, that fits your life/passions. Watch your nutrition, explore meditation, and make sure you have friend/family support. I have a good friend at work that listens to me and is supportive, and sometimes it's just helpful to take 10 minutes and vent, IF that person is a safe/supportive place.

Good luck OP, please write more, tell us about your particular stressors, there are tons of very helpful posters here and we all care.

Meditation or yoga (self care) in the mornings to start your day off on a positive note. I also exercise daily after work, even when I'm dead tired for at least 20 minutes. Works for me :) Hope it helps!

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by nanmel
    Meditation or yoga (self care) in the mornings to start your day off on a positive note. I also exercise daily after work, even when I'm dead tired for at least 20 minutes. Works for me :) Hope it helps!
    I used to exercise after work but in the last 10 years I find I have to exercise ASAP in the morning because I know I'll be too tired later and I love the feeling of getting it over with.

Originally Posted by Batya33
    I used to exercise after work but in the last 10 years I find I have to exercise ASAP in the morning because I know I'll be too tired later and I love the feeling of getting it over with.
    Very true-- mornings are better to start your day off great. I find it difficult to pump myself up though. Do any of you drink anything to help with exercise in the mornings?

Platinum Member
    Change jobs.

btw, you'll never get 100% away from stress.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by nanmel
    Very true-- mornings are better to start your day off great. I find it difficult to pump myself up though. Do any of you drink anything to help with exercise in the mornings?
    During the school week my routine is to go after the school bus drop off (just before 7:30am). I drink a little sparkling water while getting my son ready for school but I drink my 24oz bottle of water while exercising -even if I am outside and it's cold. I am not pumped up in the morning but far more so than at night. I am just on autopilot. I have my workout clothes ready so that there are no excuses. The exercise itself pumps me up. I also work it in, sometimes, to where I have to go. Like today I have a 2 mile walk home from where I have to drop off my son since it's a school break, so that will be worked into my power walk. I feel and know it's a huge stress reliever. Since I know I'm lucky even to get the 35 extra minutes I do to work out daily I choose cardio over yoga/meditation but I do breathing exercises fairly regularly at night.

Platinum Member
    Given that you don't have much time I suggest interval (high intensity) running.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice