How to alleviate stress

Same here this past week especially! Sorry! I exercise daily and I increased my intake of water so I'm doing 4 24oz bottles a day and no diet soda anymore (maybe once or twice a year -used to be a regular diet coke drinker.). Also I do a lot of self talk reminding myself that I can do this etc. of course if you’re stressed because it’s an unhealthy work environment that’s another thing entirely. I’ve experienced that too. Right now I’m not it’s just been way too busy and stressful. Is there a particular project you’re working on that’s triggering this?

The only thing that works for me is distance running. Once I get that run in...I can deal with anything. Sleep in, skip a run? I'm crabby/double-stressed and anxious, the entire day. I do other forms of cross training too, crossfit, HIIT, strength, yoga, etc., but the running brings the stress relief.

Keeping my diet clean, staying hydrated, and trying to always live in the moment......also help. My work is stressful, my family situation is stressful atm, and now in the midwest our horrible winter is also stressing me out.

I'd suggest find your way of working out, that fits your life/passions. Watch your nutrition, explore meditation, and make sure you have friend/family support. I have a good friend at work that listens to me and is supportive, and sometimes it's just helpful to take 10 minutes and vent, IF that person is a safe/supportive place.

Good luck OP, please write more, tell us about your particular stressors, there are tons of very helpful posters here and we all care.

Meditation or yoga (self care) in the mornings to start your day off on a positive note. I also exercise daily after work, even when I'm dead tired for at least 20 minutes. Works for me :) Hope it helps!

I used to exercise after work but in the last 10 years I find I have to exercise ASAP in the morning because I know I'll be too tired later and I love the feeling of getting it over with.

I used to exercise after work but in the last 10 years I find I have to exercise ASAP in the morning because I know I'll be too tired later and I love the feeling of getting it over with.

Very true-- mornings are better to start your day off great. I find it difficult to pump myself up though. Do any of you drink anything to help with exercise in the mornings?

Very true-- mornings are better to start your day off great. I find it difficult to pump myself up though. Do any of you drink anything to help with exercise in the mornings?

During the school week my routine is to go after the school bus drop off (just before 7:30am). I drink a little sparkling water while getting my son ready for school but I drink my 24oz bottle of water while exercising -even if I am outside and it's cold. I am not pumped up in the morning but far more so than at night. I am just on autopilot. I have my workout clothes ready so that there are no excuses. The exercise itself pumps me up. I also work it in, sometimes, to where I have to go. Like today I have a 2 mile walk home from where I have to drop off my son since it's a school break, so that will be worked into my power walk. I feel and know it's a huge stress reliever. Since I know I'm lucky even to get the 35 extra minutes I do to work out daily I choose cardio over yoga/meditation but I do breathing exercises fairly regularly at night.

I'm in a very stressful environment too and we're working well bellow the number of employees we should be working. I'm a mess. I'm curious to read the advice of others.

But something that helps me is having moments to myself, where I'm distracted with other things. Also I have problems sleeping and lack of sleep leads to more stress.

Also -maybe TMI -the side benefit to drinking a lot of water during the day at work is more visits to the restroom -which means more moving around, getting away from your screen or whatever. One time when I was pregnant and having to go all the time I actually left a long boring conference call on mute and ran down the hall hoping no one would address me specifically. I made it thank goodness. As Annia wrote - yes moments to yourself, and "prioritize your panic" meaning get perspective -not everything is a crisis even though you're generally in adrenaline crisis mode. Yesterday I had a really huge deadline. i had to work with two staff members who are assistants to us. i really hate doing that -they are great and I am always concerned that my stress will show, that my tone will reflect stress or even impatience. And I feel like I'm walking on eggshells. So I told myself on the way to work -I am going to a "tea party" (meaning relax, slow down your voice) and the deadline will be met - maybe not perfectly but I wasn't going to sacrifice a good working relationship with staff or anyone.

So in reality I was stressed with the number of questions from one staff member but I made myself respond every time in a thoughtful and appreciative way, offered to come to her office if that would be more helpful to her, etc. Also -let things go. I let it go that she didn't prepare certain things exactly as I would have liked because -big deal -why pick that battle and the increase the stress of getting it done? Often times I find when I am under stress my pickiness increases. Be as self aware as possible and know when you must step away, when you shouldn't reply to an email etc right then because you are feeling stressed. Etc.

Also -maybe TMI -the side benefit to drinking a lot of water during the day at work is more visits to the restroom -which means more moving around, getting away from your screen or whatever. One time when I was pregnant and having to go all the time I actually left a long boring conference call on mute and ran down the hall hoping no one would address me specifically. I made it thank goodness. As Annia wrote - yes moments to yourself, and "prioritize your panic" meaning get perspective -not everything is a crisis even though you're generally in adrenaline crisis mode. Yesterday I had a really huge deadline. i had to work with two staff members who are assistants to us. i really hate doing that -they are great and I am always concerned that my stress will show, that my tone will reflect stress or even impatience. And I feel like I'm walking on eggshells. So I told myself on the way to work -I am going to a "tea party" (meaning relax, slow down your voice) and the deadline will be met - maybe not perfectly but I wasn't going to sacrifice a good working relationship with staff or anyone.

So in reality I was stressed with the number of questions from one staff member but I made myself respond every time in a thoughtful and appreciative way, offered to come to her office if that would be more helpful to her, etc. Also -let things go. I let it go that she didn't prepare certain things exactly as I would have liked because -big deal -why pick that battle and the increase the stress of getting it done? Often times I find when I am under stress my pickiness increases. Be as self aware as possible and know when you must step away, when you shouldn't reply to an email etc right then because you are feeling stressed. Etc.

I have days I literally can't go to the toilet because people are depending on me, but now I go several times, even if people have to wait. It's my break and way to breath a little. I generally drink lot's of water at work.

I need to self talk everyday saying "what's done is done" when I get home. Meaning that whatever problems I have to solve or whatever mistakes I might have made, I can only deal with it when return to work, so it's no use thinking about it home. There was one day that I thought I had made a very huge mistake but wasn't sure and I didn't work that weekend. So I spent all weekend sick to my stomach reviving every step I've made, trying to remember if I committed a mistake or not. It was awful and I could barely sleep or think about anything else. I had to say stop. Some things are beyond our control.

I also have another problem which is that even though I'm getting much better at this on my personal life, I'm still a people pleaser at work. This makes it so that in my mind I need to be perfect and if I make a mistake a feel awful thinking that people think awful things about me or that I failed them. I remember one time when I was beginning here, I went home and cried just because a client screamed at me in front of my boss. I also used to feel awful when people called and be impatient because I needed to ask them to repeat because I couldn't understand everything at first. I even cried once (home of course) because I once filed some papers in the wrong place and it caused some stress trying to find them.

I have to think rationally that no one will think less of me because we're all stressed and prone to mistakes and they know I work my butt off and that even though I'm in disavantage (I have to work 100% in a new language I only learned recently to come to this country), I'm pulling through and I'm even being trusted new responsibilities and teaching interns. It helps thinking about our accomplishments weather they might seem small. Make a list if necessary. Even if it's silly stuff like "today I sent these emails". Also realise that you're a piece of the puzzle that makes your work. You're part of the team. You're necessary.

Take a deep breath. If like me you have to work fast, realise that even so there are limits. If people have to wait a couple more minutes so that you do a quality work and don't mess up, so be it. It's not the end of the world.

At the end of the day, we can't let work consume all our lives and suck our joy. And if a job is taking years of our lives, we need to make a plan to change jobs if necessary. It's also detrimental as I said to have a life outside work.

(now I need to follow more my own advice haha )

When the pressures of life weigh me down, I meditate/pray scriptures! Those related to peace, wisdom, strength and grace. I am currently experiencing a lot of responsibilities at work and doing this daily works for me. I also try to get as much sleep at night as I can, as this rejuvenates me for the next day. I would suggest reaching out to someone you trust to talk to when you are stressed. Whatever you decide to do, I pray it works out for you.

Archived