Open Club  ·  88 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

Will you eat lab grown meat when it's available?

itsallgrand

This is just for fun and curiosity.

I was reading an article recently that they are hoping to get lab grown meat onto the market in a few years.

It will be expensive at first, of course.

Then over time, the cost will become affordable. Some are hoping and predicting the cost will be less than meat.

ย 

Will you be trying it? How do you feel about this? Do you think it will be a positive development?

The ethics of all of it is complicated. I would have to think. The way some domestic food animals are treated is so disgusting but I am not sure what I think of this either.

ย 

They are... that's the part I find fascinating.

ย 

My initial reaction is disguist. I eat everything, and would try it, but I would avoid it as long as possible for regular consumption. I'd honestly rather eat plant based if it gets to no real option of regular meat.

Vegan boyfriend on the other hand, he's excited by this technology.

I'd try it. I had an "impossible burger" last week. It was made from all plant material. It looked like meat but tasted..... I don't know, I can't quite explain the taste. Anyway, I would get a veggie burger or a black bean burger instead of the impossible burger next time.

The ethics of all of it is complicated. I would have to think. The way some domestic food animals are treated is so disgusting but I am not sure what I think of this either.

ย 

You make an interesting point about the ethics of it that I didn't even consider, Seraphim.

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

Vegan boyfriend on the other hand, he's excited by this technology.

This whole thing is definitely food for thought, itsallgrand.

I would definitely try lab grown meat, if I see it in my lifetime. I have tried the Beyond Burger, The Beyond Burger Sausage, but not the Impossible Burger. I loved the Beyond Burger and Sausage. Tonight I had delicious tacos made from meatless beef crumbles, and a bunch of healthy vegetables, spices, cilantro, salsa, etc. they were amazing! Topped with soy-free vegan cheese. The meatless beef crumbles had 10 g of protein and zero cholesterol!

ย 

Caveat - I'm not vegan. I eat 75-85% plant based. I don't eat dairy. I eat eggs, turkey, a bit of chicken and salmon. I never eat pork and I avoid red meat. My daughters are both vegans. I try to have several vegan meals per week. I do believe going meatless for humane reasons is important. I also think it will be necessary to sustain our food supply for our population. And I also believe we won't be able to control global warming until we eliminate the huge kill farms that produce major amounts of methane gas.

ย 

I don't feel good when I eat something that i know has had a cruel life and inhumane death. It just makes me ill. I'm getting closer to going all vegan. As a distance runner and athlete I'm still wondering how I'll do without eggs and chicken. But there might be a way......

I would try it out of curiosity but I would not eat it regularly. I don't see how it could have the nutritional profile of wild animals. Even our commercially produced meat is not as healthy as game due to being grain fed etc. The grass fed stuff is far more expensive and still likely nutritionally inferior to game and wild fish due to being captive.

ย 

Roaming free in a national forest/river with a bountiful varied supply of natural foods is undoubtedly better for animal and consumer than being kept in a field/stables/pond living on one or two (potentially artificial food sources). I wouldn't eat synthetic/highly processed foods if I was aware so the synthetic meat also would be off the menu.

Archived