Increasingly cold and distant boyfriend

JenniferWang

I have been exclusive with him for 3 months, everything was wonderful, felt emotional intimacy and sense of closeness even though we're moving fast in the beginning of the relationship but it felt meant to be, he also said he feels the same way, he would talk about meeting the parents, the future, having kids, etc. We would talk about everything. Then he started having problems at work, he talked about potential layoff looming, his discontent with his job, i know he has a demanding job & work long hours, then he tells me he wants to be alone for a while, since then hasn't contacted me for another 2 monts, i initiated contact by texting once in a couple weeks, at first he still seemed in a good mood, then the second&third times i reach out, he grew colder, responding in short sentences then uninterested in continuing the conversation, when i ask he tells me he's just stressed out it's a me not you thing, valentine's day came, i called him, he didn't answer then texted me he just got home and that was it, i feel like he's avoiding me, i have a gut feeling that he's not home. We haven't got into a fight yet that's why I'm so confused, is he being distant because of stress, is there something he's not telling me, or he just lost interest, is this his way of saying we're done it's over? I don't know what to do. Please help, any advice would be appreciated.

Edited by Jencenh on Feb 16 2019 8:56AM

I don't think you two are dating anymore. And, I mean, I get that ghosters do exist, but what you're describing is pretty awkward to the point I can't help but wonder if you're seeing some deeper commitment that never existed. I think you essentially dated for a month and that was kinda that.

I'd wish him the best in sorting out his professional situation and move onto greener pastures.

Sorry to hear this. Often the 'confused, busy, stressed, need space, etc' excuse is a soft breakup. unfortunatelyn after 2 mos of no communication it seems over and you should consider moving forward.

he tells me he wants to be alone for a while, since then hasn't contacted me for another 2 monts

Edited by Jencenh on Feb 16 2019 8:56AM

OP, I think he already did break up with you he hasn't been your boyfriend for a couple months now, at least.

The break-up happened here: "then he tells me he wants to be alone for a while, since then hasn't contacted me for another 2 monts"

It seems you didn't understand, but the relationship has been over since he said the above. This is my interpretation, anyway. That's why he's cold with you when you contact him. He doesn't get why his ex continues to reach out.

Yeah, I agree with MissCannuck. You aren't dating anymore. Why would you want to date someone who barely seems to want to communicate with you anyway? Talk about the future is cheap. If it's not backed up with action, the man lacks integrity, which should be a dealbreaker for you.

Stop calling him and move on.

Just to clear up the misunderstanding, we were together for 3 months prior to the 2 months, so 5 months altogether, before withdrawing he told me he’s stressed out with work and when he’s stressed he doesn’t feel like talking, at the time I thought that it’s only a phase and it will pass eventually(mid-life crisis maybe), first time I reached out he still appears motivated in overcoming the problems then it spiraled down from there

OP, I think he already did break up with you he hasn't been your boyfriend for a couple months now, at least.

The break-up happened here: "then he tells me he wants to be alone for a while, since then hasn't contacted me for another 2 monts"

It seems you didn't understand, but the relationship has been over since he said the above. This is my interpretation, anyway. That's why he's cold with you when you contact him. He doesn't get why his ex continues to reach out.

I echo this. Sorry, OP best you move on and try and forget about him.

Eventually you will but it takes time.

Do not ever contact him again, it's over and done.

I'm sorry ((hugs)).

None of us can speak for the guy, but his behavior speaks for itself. At least it would to me. I'd skip contacting him and I'd start dating other people. If whutshisname ever reaches out again, I'd already have my mind made up about wanting to reconcile with anyone who can drop me whenever there's a bump in his road.

Archived