Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wedding photographer didn't come with photos?

Wedding photographer didn't come with photos?

I'm just wondering if this is industry standard before I start getting assertive or leaving reviews. I'll be the first to admit I'd be the last person suspected of subscribing to Weddings magazine.

My wife hired a photographer for $3,000. I know that's not as much as some have paid, but it was for a single photographer, and I consider it enough pennies to at least entitle someone to a flash drive, DVD, or even just a Google Drive folder of the color edited photos. Turns out we've been directed to the photographer's web page you can't directly save the images from, and you can either be charged for each photo you'd like printed or shipped, or pay $400 with a USB of the gallery.

I'm just baffled how having the photos provided on some form of storage media wasn't included with the price... like we'd otherwise just wanna pay $3,000 for the privilege of watching someone take photos. My wife's the one who picked the photographer and made arrangements with her, so I guess it's a question that should have been asked then. But I frankly can't blame her for not thinking she'd need to.

I mean... is that the norm? I'm usually the first to "LMGTFY," but I'm having trouble finding the terms to search for pertinent results.

ETA: I'm much less asking based on whether I have cause for any sort of remedy. If my wife missed it in the contract, she missed it, and there's not much else to say there other than perhaps I should have been more involved on that front to have noticed it myself. Just curious on the pervasiveness of the practice.
    Last edited by j.man; 02-15-2019 at 12:31 PM.

Ouch.
    My son just got married and we too are directed to the photographers website, but there is no charge for downloading the pictures.
    Just this last weekend I downloaded one, sent it to Costco, and it's on my dining room wall.
    The photographer made her money up front.

Platinum Member
    In my opinion, the $3 grand should have included an electronic copy of the photos.

On the photographer's website is it clearly spelled out that the fee is for photography services only and not for prints or electronic access?

Platinum Member
    You should have been given a photo package included with that price! And charge for additional photos. That $3k is outrageous especially to get zero photos.

Platinum Member
    Something is totally wrong here. You either pay the photographer upfront as you did or you go to his website, order the photos you want printed and then pay. Not both.

I also do photography on the side, and no this is not normal, but it may be legal if that’s what the contract states that your wife signed. Double, triple read that agreement.

Photographers gain clients mostly through referrals, social media, and activity on their own webpage (galleries, etc). So if I were you, I would approach the photographer and give them one chance to provide you with the digital images you paid for and let them know that if they refuse, you’ll be making that known on all of their platforms. I would imagine they’d get it in gear. Any reasonable photographer would.

I can’t imagine how they’ve been able to gain clients if they don’t even provide a finished product. That’s idiotic.

Alright, I've taken some Pepto and am no longer on the verge of ****ting a brick. Had my wife tell me where the contract was so I could read it, and evidently a USB of the negatives is included in the package. For spending $3,000 on a single photographer, I'd certainly like it if a small gallery of edited photos were included, but coming off this, I'm just happy we do indeed get the negatives.

My wife was convinced it was pay extra for the gallery or bust. This woman and her estranged relationship with fine print will be the death of me.

Gold Member
    So you get the raw pics and pay extra for prints of the edited versions? Sounds more realistic. That way you can edit (or have edited) the raw pics to your own taste if you wish before printing.

Originally Posted by thornz
    So you get the raw pics and pay extra for prints of the edited versions? Sounds more realistic. That way you can edit (or have edited) the raw pics to your own taste if you wish before printing.
    Yep, that's the plan. One of the schools I contract with regularly is a visual arts school, so I can probably make that $400 work for us a lot better handpicking the pictures we want spruced up.

Originally Posted by j.man
    Yep, that's the plan. One of the schools I contract with regularly is a visual arts school, so I can probably make that $400 work for us a lot better handpicking the pictures we want spruced up.
    Oh that would be cool!

I'm super surprised at this situation. We've been looking into photographers lately so this is a good heads up on what to ask and be very sure of what is included.
    We went to the wedding of his step bro last summer, and part of what was included in the package was semi personalized books of photographs to each major family group. So the parents received books that included more photos of their family etc. I thought it was very nice!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice