Hi,

I understand this may be a little different to many posts but an incident happened yesterday that has left me feeling upset.

I like to think I am a careful and considerate driver. I try not to drive over the limit. On my route to and from work there are static speed cameras and, occasionally, mobile speed camera vans. On one particular street the residents must have complained as signs indicating a maximum of 30 have been attached to lampposts and it has been known to have the occasional speed camera van.

As I have stated, I don't speed but my awareness of this van has made me wary on this road. Also, on this 2-3 mile stretch of road that is built up with house either side, there can be a bit of traffic and part of the road narrows where only one side of traffic may pass at any one time.

It is also dark and street lighting I poor and the glare from the lights from the oncoming cars can be a little off-putting and diminish visibility somewhat.

Yesterday I was driving back home on this stretch of road when a car begins to tailgate me. I don't just mean close but extremely close. I've another mile left to drive before we hit traffic lights. I refuse to speed up as not only would it be dangerous, I don't want to get caught speeding or being 'forced' to speed, so I maintain my speed at around 28mph.

As we approach the traffic lights that are fortunately on green, I indicate right and the aggressive driver behind intends to carry straight on. I am thankful the lights are not on red as I sense his fury. Instead of him driving straight on, he stops alongside of me, aggressively beeping his horn. When I look at him he is acting all aggressive and doing offensive language with his hands. I try not to react but I am deeply concerned he wishes to cause me harm. The hate in his face makes it seem he isn't just annoyed he really wants to cause me physical harm.

He ends up speeding away so bad his tyres screech and smoke comes off them. I am able to carry on right and drive home very shaken.

What worries me and keeps playing on my mind is the what ifs and buts. I keep thinking about what if the lights were on red and he had got out of his car to threaten me or damage my car? How do I react?

I am so worried it will happen again or I will see him again. I have to travel this route five days per week. I wasn't able to get his registration plate as he stopped alongside of me then sped off with force. I will invest in a rear camera for my car when budget allows.

I know this may sound trivial but this has caused me a little emotional trauma. I have never been threatened to that extent before on a road. I really don't think my re-telling even does it justice at how angry and aggressive he was.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

People in general have become angrier and angrier in recent years. I don’t know what is going on? I feel sorry for them.

While not a road rage story - a couple of years ago, I was in my local sandwich shop when a guy came in. He tried to order on a specific kind of bread and he was informed that they ran out. He had 4 other kinds to choose from. The dude LOST his mind!! He started yelling and screaming and slamming his fists on the counter... it was crazy. I mean... if you can get that worked up about a sandwich... or someone following the law and driving the speed limit... yanno... well... I just don’t know how they make it through the day. They must be lonely and not have a lot of other more important things to worry about or something? A sandwich - or a cautious driver - just doesn’t even make it on my radar. Seriously.

For what it’s worth, if someone does try to harm you, you can absolutely call 911. And if someone gets out of their car to yell at you? Just close your window and ignore them (and call 911 if necessary). Just don’t engage these crazy people. There is no reasoning with them.

Yep - really don't give this idiot any headspace. They're all around us, and if he wants a speeding fine then let him. It's very disturbing at the time because of the potential danger of the situation, but thankfully the lights were on green and you can let him speed out of your life.

Thankfully... at least you're not his wife, or his dog!

Thank you. I am so shocked as to how shaken I feel.

It's ok to feel upset. It's totally normal. Our bodies respond to threat by dumping all these hormones and our physiology don't care if it's an aggressive driver on the road or a tiger lunging at us. Modern roadways and societies are extremely stressful!

Just don't want you to feel like you are strange for having upset at this, no matter how common aggression on the road may be.

They rise and leave for a twenty mile commute with twelve traffic signals to go through.

If all are green they MAY make to work on time, that rarely happens.

Stop looking at your rear view mirror. You're only responsible for what's in front of you.

If you don't, sooner or later you'll hit something.

I'll just give you some practical advice. Since you are an overly cautious and timid driver, next time you are inching down the road below speed limit with other cars stuck up your rear....pull over and let them through. It will save everyone a whole lot of aggravation and keep you safe from angry psychos wanting to punch you in the nose. If they go barreling down that road and end up getting speeding tickets, that's their problem. The most dangerous thing you can do to yourself on any road is be a rolling speed bump. In the future, just pull over at first available place and let people pass you and then continue you on as you wish.

I'll just give you some practical advice. Since you are an overly cautious and timid driver, next tiThe most dangerous thing you can do to yourself on any road is be a rolling speed bump. In the future, just pull over at first available place and let people pass you and then continue you on as you wish.

I agree. While aggressive drivers are dangerous, deliberately blocking them only escalates the problem. Move out of the way to avoid becoming road kill. And on highways, stay out of the left lane!

Thanks for all the replies. I wish to clear a couple of things: I'm not a timid driver. In fact, I am very experienced and competent. I am an advanced driver and hold a licence for large vehicles. On the said road, I couldn't have pulled over as the road is very narrow with parked cars on the opposite side so only one lane for traffic in both directions. So 28mph in a 30 zone isn't quite enough to antagonise other drivers into tailgating me. I wish he had passed me as I always allow drivers to do this on wider roads as I was taught in advanced driving that the accident will be theirs not mine. But like I say, he had no way to get passed me on this narrow road.

A lady once pulled a gun on me in traffic. Pointed it straight at me at the next stoplight, as we were side by side.

I had been following my then-boyfriend, he on his motorcycle, to the repair shop, as his motorcycle would die if he stopped it, so we both were trying to make every green light, and she tried to get in between him and me, and I motioned to please let me in, and she refused. Next stoplight, she reached into her glove compartment and pointed her gun straight at me. Never been so scared in my life.

So I get your discomfort and unease.

People can be freaking idiots behind the wheel, sheesh.

Glad you are ok!

• 4 weeks later...

Most merge issues are caused by not accelerating/matching traffic speed and signaling" BEFORE leaving the merge lane.

There's always space between the cars for you.

Occasionally you might pull in front of a nonyielding driver. (i.e. The world/road should be perfect so I can go the same speed all the time.)

When you do, remember they too don't really know how to drive.

* The longer you signal, the more pressure it's puts on the poor driver to yield.

Archived