Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Road Rage

Silver Member

Road Rage

Hi,

I understand this may be a little different to many posts but an incident happened yesterday that has left me feeling upset.

I like to think I am a careful and considerate driver. I try not to drive over the limit. On my route to and from work there are static speed cameras and, occasionally, mobile speed camera vans. On one particular street the residents must have complained as signs indicating a maximum of 30 have been attached to lampposts and it has been known to have the occasional speed camera van.

As I have stated, I don't speed but my awareness of this van has made me wary on this road. Also, on this 2-3 mile stretch of road that is built up with house either side, there can be a bit of traffic and part of the road narrows where only one side of traffic may pass at any one time.

It is also dark and street lighting I poor and the glare from the lights from the oncoming cars can be a little off-putting and diminish visibility somewhat.

Yesterday I was driving back home on this stretch of road when a car begins to tailgate me. I don't just mean close but extremely close. I've another mile left to drive before we hit traffic lights. I refuse to speed up as not only would it be dangerous, I don't want to get caught speeding or being 'forced' to speed, so I maintain my speed at around 28mph.

As we approach the traffic lights that are fortunately on green, I indicate right and the aggressive driver behind intends to carry straight on. I am thankful the lights are not on red as I sense his fury. Instead of him driving straight on, he stops alongside of me, aggressively beeping his horn. When I look at him he is acting all aggressive and doing offensive language with his hands. I try not to react but I am deeply concerned he wishes to cause me harm. The hate in his face makes it seem he isn't just annoyed he really wants to cause me physical harm.

He ends up speeding away so bad his tyres screech and smoke comes off them. I am able to carry on right and drive home very shaken.

What worries me and keeps playing on my mind is the what ifs and buts. I keep thinking about what if the lights were on red and he had got out of his car to threaten me or damage my car? How do I react?

I am so worried it will happen again or I will see him again. I have to travel this route five days per week. I wasn't able to get his registration plate as he stopped alongside of me then sped off with force. I will invest in a rear camera for my car when budget allows.

I know this may sound trivial but this has caused me a little emotional trauma. I have never been threatened to that extent before on a road. I really don't think my re-telling even does it justice at how angry and aggressive he was.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Just ignore idiots. It is scary if not experienced before but typically nothing happens. Just ignore him. Let him have a heart attack from his own issues.

Silver Member
    Thank you. I am so shocked as to how shaken I feel.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    It is an every day situation in any North American city so I donít get riled up.
    Originally Posted by Astrogirl
    Thank you. I am so shocked as to how shaken I feel.

Silver Member
    I visit the USA and actually feel your drivers have way more manners than British drivers.

I visit the USA and actually feel your drivers have way more manners than British drivers.
    I am Canadian. ;)

Silver Member
    My apologies. But I bet you still have more manners than British drivers. Most people here are getting way too impatient with fellow road users.

My apologies. But I bet you still have more manners than British drivers. Most people here are getting way too impatient with fellow road users.
    Nahhh, major cities here they will run you over soon as look at you . My husband and I have been driving years years so we just ignore it .

Platinum Member
    Crazy drivers are everywhere. glad you made it out OK. Hope the idiot is not one of your neighbors.

Platinum Member
    People in general have become angrier and angrier in recent years. I donít know what is going on? I feel sorry for them.

While not a road rage story - a couple of years ago, I was in my local sandwich shop when a guy came in. He tried to order on a specific kind of bread and he was informed that they ran out. He had 4 other kinds to choose from. The dude LOST his mind!! He started yelling and screaming and slamming his fists on the counter... it was crazy. I mean... if you can get that worked up about a sandwich... or someone following the law and driving the speed limit... yanno... well... I just donít know how they make it through the day. They must be lonely and not have a lot of other more important things to worry about or something? A sandwich - or a cautious driver - just doesnít even make it on my radar. Seriously.

For what itís worth, if someone does try to harm you, you can absolutely call 911. And if someone gets out of their car to yell at you? Just close your window and ignore them (and call 911 if necessary). Just donít engage these crazy people. There is no reasoning with them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice