Asthma and Performing Over a Microphone

So I've been diagnosed with adult onset asthma and I'm getting a radio/podcasting career going. This is being managed medically, but this comes as a blow to my confidence and may affect my future plans. I've noticed my breath is getting shorter and my sentences are being cut short as a result. Could there be breathing techniques I could use so as to not sound so wheezy when I'm talking over the microphone?

Is there anyone in a similar situation? I'm reaching out to fellow asthmatics who have dealt with this problem as well in their lines of work. Will I have to consider switching out of this line of work and finding something else? What should I be worried about it the near or far future if I keep going?

Thanks in advance!

No asthma, but bad allergies. I have an inhaler that I rarely use--only on bad days, but carrying it serves as a good psychological safety net. There is a breathing technique called 'square breathing' that you can google to learn and practice every day. The reason for the practice is to be good at it during the times when you really need it. It helps to manage anxiety and slow heart rate. It interrupts the spiral of anxiety causing a quickened heart rate, which impacts breathing, which causes more anxiety ...

CongrAts and best wishes for a fabulous radio experience!

• 2 weeks later...

I can empathize; I've had asthma my entire life as well as severe allergies. I've manage the most part to overcome it. I've been in martial arts for 20 years, and also started doing YouTube videos as well as singing. My advice; do NOT let asthma control your life! If you want to do you podcasting thing, do it! Chances are, you are freaking and noticing things more than other people. I don't know how new you are to podcasting, but when I started doing singing, I just... I hear every flaw in my voice. Even my YouTube videos, with the way I speak and hear myself, sometimes I get sketchy about it. So don't fret too much about how you sound on the mic in regards to your breathing. That sounds like a common thing to anyone who gets in front of the mic.

That aside, for your asthma, I recommend what I do... martial arts. Have ever considered taking up any kind of martial arts, or even kickboxing or something similar? Karate has done wonders for my asthma. I study Shotokan karate, which involves a lot of controlled breathing. Punches, kicks, etc. everything is inhale and exhale on a move. I used to be on a daily inhaler as a kid, and I have not needed a daily inhaler for 18~ years now since karate. I will say; asthma sucks. As you age (I'm almost 30 now), it doesn't improve. I wake up cough-y and congested some days. My lungs ain't what they used to be. But, I still breath great, and can still workout. And I think the karate does a lot for me. So yeah, get into some kind of fitness. The worst you can do is sit around and not do things in live because of the asthma.

I've noticed my breath is getting shorter and my sentences are being cut short as a result. Could there be breathing techniques I could use so as to not sound so wheezy when I'm talking over the microphone?

Its in your head.

You have been asthmatic probably your whole life. People don't suddenly get stricken with asthma. It is not sudden onset. Kids can have it and outgrow it as their lungs develop. But if you are a full adult -- i am going to say the shortness of breath is because now you are worried about it and not indicative of your condition or its the result of getting used to medication. Or you are reacting to pollen or mold. Emphesma would inhibit your ability to do microphone work, but asthma will not because its a sedantary acticity,-- just don't run a marathon and then sit down in a chair.

Archived