Do you think this would be an ok letter to send to an ex?

I have so many things I want to say that I feel went unsaid. I don’t know how else to express them to you other than via this letter.

I know the reasons we said out loud as to why you and I didn’t work was because of distance and busyness but you made me really happy so I was ready to work through those issues, and just in time for you to disengage, it seems.

I just don’t think we gave our relationship a proper chance. If I could go back, I’d do things so different. I wish we could have better communicated what we needed from each other and then we could have really made it happen. Hindsight is such a b**** and I’m sorry I took you for granted. I realize now I should have respected your time, like you did mine. The old adage “you don’t know what you have until it’s gone“ rings true here, for me.

As too late as it may be, I’m no longer afraid to say that I think we could have really had something and we could have been quite the fun "power couple". We both bring so much to the table.

But thank you for your grace. I know your short responses or non responsiveness to my texts is your way of sparing my feelings because I definitely got the feels for you.

Just know you gave me a taste of something I hadn’t had in a long time, a potential, real, mature, two adults respecting each other kind of relationship. That’s why it’s no wonder I started to have strong feelings for you. And it’s no wonder it took me so long to get over you. I felt a strong bond with you, (which I thought you felt too). If you weren’t such a great catch and such a wonderful and rare man, it would have been easier to let go.

I was scared of love. Hurt by my past. Not willing to try. But you were being very patient and caring towards me which opened me up.

You should know, you set the bar pretty high for anyone who follows you because I only want to be treated the way you treated me. The experience with you opened me up to knowing myself better. I found that I can be vulnerable with someone and I do feel truly ready for something real, true, and lasting. I’m not in any hurry and I definitely learned it’s better to take things slow. I’m not settling for crumbs of attention from anyone anymore and I am tired of surface-level relationships. I want to know someone at their core and I am no longer afraid of raw emotions. I realize I can be a great girlfriend and now I can be “relationship girl” instead of “bitter divorced girl” or “better off alone girl", which was how you found me. So thank you. Whoever comes next will get a more mature, understanding, and respectful woman out of me, thanks to you.

Obviously, I still adore you. You’re still the coolest person I know…..well one of….top 5 at least. LOL

I know we need to continue to move on with our separate lives and I realize ending it was best for both of us. But if you have any desire to be friends again, I’d like that. I know we tried but I was still emotional about us ending and needed the space. I’ve had some time to recover now and I’d rather be friends than nothing. If you ever want to reach out, share something with me, go get coffee or that drink I owe you (as friends of course), I’d like that too. The ball is in your court.

I miss you, I always think the best of you, I think of you often, and I hope you’re doing well.

xx

I rarely recommend sending these types of letters to an ex, because they rarely answer like you'd like them to answer and also because they rarely have an epiphany or "understand". Writing that letter can be therapeutical, but more like a way of letting your feelings out but without actually sending it him. Also, the type of talk in your e-mail tends to scare men away, especially if he was the one breaking up with you or showing lack of interest in pursuing the relationship.

Just my opinion and experience.

It's a nice letter, however whether or not you send it depends on a whole lot of context that is missing from your original post.

If you do decide to send it, then prepare yourself for the possibility that he won't respond the way you want him to, whatever that is... he may not respond at all. It looks like you are trying to get him to come running back to you... depending on how recent the breakup was, these types of letters don't work for that sort of thing. The only thing that sometimes works is time and the space to reflect on things. Even then getting back together is never a guarantee.

You are trying to find a way to relieve the pain you are feeling...and I totally understand!

But the others are right...

And sadly enough, not long after you send that the pain will be right back....

Try to cast your mind 24, 48 and 72 hours into the future of how you'll be feeling if he doesn't respond...

It's long been known that writing stuff out or journaling is cathartic, but not sending it.

There is a thread in here for writing out things you want to say.

I'm sorry for your distress.

Carus*

I agree with everyone here. Someone somewhere on this page said something along the lines of “you don’t need to DO anything. If they want to come back, they do. They know who you are, they will be able to reach you if they want”.

That set me straight at least. Mind you, I did send an email to my x, but that was the day after he told me about new girl, and it was the last communication I had with him before NC. And I specifically told him that he needn’t respond, I just pointed out the specifics points in the whole break up fase where he did me wrong.

The most important mantra I’ve had in all these months after that is:

I don’t want to talk to him or hear from him because he won’t say what I want him to say anyways.

So make sure that you can cope with his answer, whether it is nothing, something or even something nasty/upsetting!

A much better option for this expression is posting in the designated threads specifically for these type of sentiments. This way you won't engage in this self-defeating exercise which leaves you wondering did they get it?, will they respond?, what will the reaction be? how long should I wait for a response?, will they want to get back together? etc etc etc.

So check out these threads because so many people have unanswered questions and unspoken words after breakups:

Post here instead of contacting your ex!

Or start a journal to chronicle your thoughts and feelings:

Forum: Journals

The best masterpiece letter in the world is still never a good thing to send to an ex.

If ex is ever interested in rehashing anything, he knows how to reach you. A letter isn't going to change his mind, it will only make you feel more vulnerable and exposed, even while anything in writing that leaves your hands is control you've lost over its contents.

Anyone who deserves to know your deepest thoughts about your relationship will offer the time and room to listen to you in person.

Consider the writing to be your own therapeutic device, and don't send it. You'll thank yourself later.

Head high.

Well done Memequeen. In my experience, the writing of the letter gets out what you need to say. Sending the letter to your ex is rarely going to get you the answers you would like and is rarely satisfying. I'm glad you waited and hope you continue to feel empowered within yourself, without his help.

I know we need to continue to move on with our separate lives and I realize ending it was best for both of us. But if you have any desire to be friends again, I’d like that. I know we tried but I was still emotional about us ending and needed the space. I’ve had some time to recover now and I’d rather be friends than nothing. If you ever want to reach out, share something with me, go get coffee or that drink I owe you (as friends of course), I’d like that too. The ball is in your court.xx

I read this through the eyes of your ex and this comes across as a hail mary move to convince him otherwise.

He will see right through the ending of you saying you understand the breakup is for the best and you are volunteering to being demoted to being his friend.

Not sure if this is your intention, but as others have said, these letters are best not sent.

At the very least promise yourself you will sit on it for a few day before doing anything.

It's ok. We've all written these letters. I have and I know it's carefully crafted in hopes of shifting the situation.

Even if I didn't want to admit it to myself.

Thank you! I like what you did there. Maybe I'm being passive -aggressive and I do want to know what he would think. I think I make it clear I'm not over him. And you're right, being just friends is something I'd consider a demotion, so I best just leave it all alone. Thank you for your help.

My current boyfriend broke up with me once for 2 years! I said we could be friends. So, we would occasionally go out to movies or dinner, nothing heavy. And I would never let him into my house for more than 5 minutes while I put on my coat and shoes to go somewhere. I always dressed to look my best when going out with him and noticed other men checking me out on the street and smiled at them like the available woman I was. I treated him like a friend only and apparently it drove him crazy. He asked me to move in with him and we've been together for 7 years since then. The secret though is to never have sex with them and keep them out of your house and don't go into theirs for more than a few minutes. Be confident, be happy, and be your best.

Oh, and glad you didn't send the letter. It puts you in a one-down position. You are beautiful and you deserve someone who recognizes that!

Archived