Job ends early which either means I did good or terminally bad

1a1a

That job I've been doing for last week that's already been the catalyst for two posts, well, there was nothing for me to do today so I offered to go home. And over the course of the day the woman who hired me (who hadn't been onsite but has now arrived) had a chance to get up to speed and do some work herself and everything is pretty much done. So actually they don't need me for the rest of the week (10 days booked for, 5 days worked).

I'm feeling a lot of anxiety around this. Because it feels like a high stakes job, these are people I want to impress, I would like to work for them again, I feel like they are my only in for this kind of work (surely not true). My brain weasels are screeching "the main boss you've been working for got sick of working with you and vetoed further shifts". It's much much more likely that they are ahead of schedule and cancelling the rest of my shifts is saving a significant chunk of money.

I can't control how things will look when the dust settles, either I will get further work from them or I will not. What is probably more worth examining is my reaction to these thoughts. I'd love to take the teeth out of the fear and anxiety surrounding it.

Think of abundance, as you point out. Activate your network. Ask if you may use her as a reference, if that's appropriate, or if they have another project. "Do you have other projects coming up where I can be part of the team? I would be excited to work with COMPANY again." Have faith in the work you did and express appreciation for it. That outward expression may help you feel differently inside.

I would stay in touch to the extent possible and express interest in future projects. My sense is they probably finished the work and this is a cost-saving measure otherwise you would have been replaced. It also could be that the woman realized that given the not so great dynamics it would take her less time to finish the work herself. Sorry it ended earlier!

Archived