Open Club  ·  86 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

Abducted in plain sight

Annia

"Abducted in Plain Sight" -- I could feel anger just reading the description. On a few fronts. I tire of being reminded to think of myself snd my most cherished loved ones as on the verge of dird victimhood.

There was a popular movie in the U S called "single white female". Just the title gets me spun up.

Probably not something I would watch. We were abducted by our father.

I'm so sorry you went through that!

It's a documentary about a kidnapping in the 70s of a child by a pedo family friend in the 70s in a religious community (she's alive and safe). But instead of just being angry with the kidnapper, you get angry at her awful parents, the kidnapper's brother, the community and the system and everyone involved in general. I was so upset with the parents that I had to take a break from watching lol

They don't really talk much about the abuse and what really happened in detail, but I was triggered never the less.

Thanks for the article. I tried not to judge the parents and try to remember this was the 70s in a religious community but there were some scenes, specially with the mother that makes me believe at least the mother was actively involved in the abuse knowing very well what was going on. That's why it made me so sick to my stomach. I want to believe they were just clueless and naive but there's too many red flags.

I'm so sorry you went through that!

It's a documentary about a kidnapping in the 70s of a child by a pedo family friend in the 70s in a religious community (she's alive and safe). But instead of just being angry with the kidnapper, you get angry at her awful parents, the kidnapper's brother, the community and the system and everyone involved in general. I was so upset with the parents that I had to take a break from watching lol

They don't really talk much about the abuse and what really happened in detail, but I was triggered never the less.

Yes I am appalled as well -- went beyond kidnapping -- he was charged with multiple accounts of rape! Jan was 10!

The parents catapulted themselves into denial imo, the alternative, to acknowledge what was happening and what did happen, was just to painful so they buried it - denied it.

Not justIfying, it's appalling for sure!

I'm angry at the court system -- he served only ten days!

What the *!

Yes I am appalled as well -- went beyond kidnapping -- he was charged with multiple accounts of rape! Jan was 10!

The parents catapulted themselves into denial imo, the alternative, to acknowledge what was happening and what did happen, was just to painful so they buried it - denied it.

Not justIfying, it's appalling for sure!

I'm angry at the court system -- he served only ten days!

What the *!

(spoilers)

He had countless charges on him, from child abuse to burning the father's shop to other stuff and only got 10 days. We get to know that after that he had 1 year prison for child abuse of another child years later. I was sick to my stomach!

And the fact that the mother was having a 8 months affair with him AFTER he had kidnapped her daughter, abused her and married her in Mexico when she was only 12... I had to pause, stand up, walk a bit around the room and sit again lol

I am no psychiatrist but I wouldn't be surprised if the mother was a sociopath. Even the way she talked about what happened, smiling when remembering the affair... or the non emotional and casual way she answered the phone after the second kidnapping as if it was nothing. Or the calm and nonchallant way she justified having waited 5 days to call the police the first kidnapping and 2 weeks the second one as if this was a perfectly normal behaviour... even on the "naive" 70s in a religious community this is not the behaviour of a mother that cares for her daughter well being. I saw no remorse or empathy for the abuse her daughter went through (at least not on camera).

I don't know, it just rubbed me wrong way. I believe the parents knew more than they let us know. I don't believe this was just naivety and being clueless.

• 2 months later...

Archived