Scared I might have alcohol poisoning?

Hey everyone,

I don’t care for drinking, and I’m honestly disappointed in myself. I was visiting with my childhood best friend whose here for the weekend and I didn’t intend to get drunk, just have a couple of drinks to be social. Big mistake.

Her mom brought out a shot glass and I’m not sure how many shots I had but probably around four plus most of a cup of whiskey and coke. I’m 23 years old, weigh around 136 pounds and am 5’2 (female). I was stumbling some and even fell when my mom came to pick me up. While I was drunk at my friend’s house I was never incoherent. Once my mom picked me up is when I let go, I guess, and I don’t remember a lot after that.

I can’t really remember getting there, but I woke up in bed a couple of hours after getting home and vomited everywhere. After getting up and taking a hot shower- I looked really awful, super pale- got back in bed but it took a long time to fall asleep and I was shivering a bit.

I felt nauseous when I woke back up and it was hard but I managed to finally get up and take some aspirin to get rid of my headache. I ate most of a slice of bread. Drank water. And then I went back to sleep.

What’s mostly got me so scared that I have alcohol poisoning is that my hands are clammy and cold and so are my feet. They’ve been like this all day. I haven’t been able to find anyone else with this hangover symptom really, which makes me extra nervous. I actually just slept for about two hours and woke up feeling hot, especially in the face, but my hands are still clammy and my feet were cold and clammy even though I had socks on.

I haven’t eaten much today. I don’t have a lot of appetite. I’m hungry but when I try to eat my body doesn’t really seem to want to. I made myself have a little bit of soup and about half of a hamburger. I’ve drank some Gatorade and a good bit of water. I probably need to drink some more water after this.

My breathing is ok, but feels sort of labored I guess. I have panic attacks sometimes and I feel like that might be part of it. I told my mom all of this but she insists I don’t have alcohol poisoning but I’m not so sure. I feel like if nothing else maybe I could have mild alcohol poisoning. I can’t afford an ER visit or I would have insisted she take me or called an ambulance or something.

The only other thing is that my stomach has been making noises and doesn’t feel too great. My tongue still feels dry and I’m tired but anxious?

I feel like an idiot, but at least I can definitely say I won’t drink again. I’m just glad I refused the last drink my friend kept offering me because I would be even sicker I’m sure. I wish I had been smart enough to not drink at all.

I know you can’t offer me actual medical advice, but I would like your opinions on if it sounds like I might have alcohol poisoning? I’m really scared because of the clammy hands and feet. I should have better educated myself on the risks of drinking alcohol, but I just assumed beforehand that you only had to worry if you drank constantly or a really crazy amount.

Thanks, and I hope you won’t think too badly of me,

Capricorny

You wouldn't be writing this here if you were that incoherent. Alcohol intoxication and alcohol poisoning are on a spectrum. Alcohol is a multi-system toxin hence "intoxicated". Binge drinking is consuming excessive amounts of alcohol in a short period of time.

You are doing the right things staying hydrated. As well as deciding not to drink. You are going to feel like hell when you dump a truckload of toxins in your body. If you still don't feel well get to an ER.

I feel like if nothing else maybe I could have mild alcohol poisoning. I can’t afford an ER visit

Don't stress too much, you've just got a bad hangover, which is essentially alcohol poisoning, but you haven't drank enough for it to be life threatening. You just haven't got a high tolerance for alcohol. All of us have probably been in your situation several times in our youth..... I've been their so many times I can't remember.

My ex wife is you're size and what you consumed, would be pre-drinks for her before a big night out. She would have no issues continuing on to consume a total of 15-18 standard drinks + shots, with similar consequences the next day.

When I was younger I was admitted to hospital with alcohol poisoning, had my stomach pumped and was basically unconscious for 19 hours. I had consumed two bottles of vodka over 8 hours....... Now I'd be lucky to have one drink in 6 months.

If you ever have more than a few drinks, make sure you have a decent meal before hand and I usually have a glass of water for every 2 - 3 drinks.

No, you do not have alcohol poisoning. Alcohol poisoning is far worse than this. You wouldn't even be coherent. I won't go into the details but trust me when I say this is not alcohol poisoning.

You drank too much and it gave you a hangover but it will pass. You are young, healthy, your body will get rid of all the alcohol in you quite quickly. It has gotten rid of most already.

You shouldn't drink...I mean, ever. You have far too much anxiety over it.

Secondly, you need help with anxiety disorder. You should go and talk to a doctor or get to a therapist and get some help. You sound like a hypochondriac and it's no way to live.

You shouldn't be scared to this degree or watching your body to this degree.

It is all anxiety based.

It's normal to be careful and to take care of yourself, but you've gone way past that and are becoming obsessive.

I imagine it's difficult to live with that worry 24/7 and always feel scared that something bad is going to happen.

You shouldn't have to live that way and this is why you need proper help with it before it gets worse.

Archived