I feel stupid and like if I can’t do nothing right

Woman soul

Hello,

I am currently working as a receptionist for a corporate office. I usually have weekly task of doing inventory taking care of mail, Stuffing checks for accountants, answering calls and helping customers. I also have filling for Human Resources and other task around the office. I feel like anything I do is incorrect and when I do something wrong like for example not ordering enough supplies I get looked at like if I’m stupid and I can’t do one thing right. I understand that I need to be careful, but I’m not doing stuff on purpose. No one likes being wrong and I feel like yes it’s completely my fault and I try to do better, but some how I continue to mess up. Personally I feel dumb myself and I do bring myself down because I feel like a kid would do my job better than me. I feel like I’m not doing things in a

Professional way and I feel like my co-workers are laughing at me. They all have a higher position than me, and I feel like as a receptionist they can see all my mistakes, but since I don’t work in their group I can’t see anything that they mess up on and when they judge me I feel like I’m the only dumb one that constantly messes up in this office. I understand that this might not even be about my co-workers and it might start with me, but all my life I’ve felt like if I’m not good enough and i know a lot of people struggle with this and i need to build a tougher skin and stop “complaining” but it’s hard i really sit here think and cry about it because it hurts to not be good at the things I do. I don’t look for perfection, but I just feel like I’m not smart or pretty or anything by that matter. My question is how can I change my personality in a sense to be more open and be more confident more alert more smart. I hate being soft and crying over this I’m just fed up!

I'm sorry you are having these struggles. I've worked as a receptionist and most of my jobs over the last 20 years have involved time sensitive administrative tasks that require accuracy. Here is what I would do. I would slow down when you are doing those tasks. Check your work for accuracy 2-3 times. Read something backwards, last word first, for typos if that is an issue. If it's a time consuming task break it up into time increments so you don't lose focus. No one cares if it is "on purpose" or "careless" - they just want it to be right with mistakes being a rarity and repeated mistakes next to nonexistent. That is what you are paid for. So you need to have the "I can do this" mindset to begin with -fake it till you make it -and for now I would get to work early, stay late, eat lunch at your desk so that you have extra time to review your work for accuracy.

It doesn't matter what your position is. My secretary works with me not for me. And I mean that -how could I do my work without her support?? Why would I ever look at her as other than part of our team?

Also practice at home -organize your own papers and bills, see if you can be accurate with your shopping lists and buy enough, keep a list of people you need to call back or call or follow up with, etc -start having "professional" habits in your personal life. My personal life requires this because I have a school age child -lots to remember, keep track of follow up with in a timely way. Good luck!

Do you like being a receptionist? Have you had success with such a role in the past? I ask this because I know with certainty that I am not cut out for such a role! I really admire receptionists and executive assistants for how detail oriented, organized and on top of things they are but not everyone has that personality, skill set or desire to learn it.

If you have had success with it in the past what did you do that worked well for you and how could you apply that knowledge here?

If you don't already know what you are supposed to be doing ask. If you are asked to do things different from your job description and you know how to do them -do them - you will benefit greatly from showing how you can go beyond your exact job title (I have done this many times including when I was a receptionist). If you are asked to do something outside of your job description and you don't know how to do it, ask and then do it if at all possible.

It might be that you simply don't like your job.

I'm a airhead by nature and work in a job that while not corporate administrative, requires lots of attention and I work under stress and if I mess up it can have bad consequences to others. I sometimes make stupid mistakes because I'm not paying attention. What helps me is trying to sleep better (one of my big problems) and slow it down. It's better having people waiting and doing a good job than doing all fast because we're stressed people are waiting. I also have a notepad where I write notes so I don't forget things (this one is really important for me). Also don't be afraid of asking stuff if you don't know or are not sure. Try to know exactly what you're expected to do and what are your functions. Sometimes doing too much all at once leads to mistakes, so knowing what it is that you're supposed to do and defining priorities can help.

Archived