Stuck between 2 day job options

stella m

I've been at my current job for 5 years and haven't every really loved it much but it my role was so niche that I couldn't find a way out. But lately I've taken on a side role that's opened doors to a new product management career path at other companies, so here are my options now and I'm hoping for some feedback:

Job A (current): Slightly warmer than lukewarm feelings on what I do. No growth. Company is in shaky financial ground. Benefits cut. Meager salary. I manage to pay the bills but not much beyond that and I'm still paying off debt. However, I now work from home permanently. Small team, nearly self-managed, with hardly any oversight (our manager quit and the company has no immediate intention of filling the position).

Job B: Slightly warmer than lukewarm feelings on product management. Lots of growth in a booming software industry. Generous benefits with generous salary options. Will drastically shorten the time it would take to pay off my remaining debt. However, will have to commute to an office again (the commute will be short though since I live close to the software hub). I'll be a newbie, so understandably I'll have a lot more oversight and expectations. I'm fully prepared to bring my A-game, it'll just be a change of pace because I've been on auto-pilot for a while.

In my heart, I'm a creative person and I like writing. The true dream is to get a book published, but I'm also a realist so I know I need a day job in the meantime - and very likely even after. So I suppose that's the underlying crux of the dilemma: which day job will better allow me to pursue my creative endeavors? Job A gives me a lot of free time - literally as well as mentally - but also leaves me in a financial dead-end. Job B will take up more time and head space, but the financial gain opens doors in other ways like being able to take some classes on the side or actually having the money to go out and network.

Thoughts?

Whichever one deals with your financial and money earning realities better. You can write in your spare time, it's not earning money and won't pay your bills/debt. Put most of your time and energy into income producing endeavors. You can't write all day if you have no food or roof. Use spare time for hobbies.

Job B: Generous benefits with generous salary options. Will drastically shorten the time it would take to pay off my remaining debt.

which day job will better allow me to pursue my creative endeavors?

Job B seems like a no brainer. Reason I say it is because job A sounds like it's a month away from bankruptcy or simply closing their doors. In terms of free time, I'm afraid you'll find yourself with way more time than you want fairly quickly with job A.

Consider that having some financial stability and extra money in your pocket will actually free you to pursue what you want more rather than less.

Do you prefer to skate down the "easy" road or do you want to buckle down a bit for more concrete benefits?

If you choose to skate down Easy Road, you have to know you are choosing to extend the amount of time it will take to pay down your debt. Financial freedom translates to so many different opportunities.

However, if having an "easy" job is your priority you know what your immediate future will look like.

Terrific question. I would go with Job B.

I had an analogous situation (somewhat close) last year when I was working for a world-class university with all the brand notoriety and excellent benefit package (best i've ever seen) and "stability". I was well compensated and had full access to the world class university's facilities, classes, on-campus events (of which were world reknown and world class as well) - something many people in the area desire. Along came a contract opportunity to upgrade my position another level, and 50% more pay - but no benefits (it's a contractor thing).

Upward mobility at the university was not there as much as I would hope and upward mobility within the team was clear wasn't going to happen. The type of work was much more my thing with the contract job with promoted title/pay. Oh yes, and it turned out the new job had a much worse commute (bay area commutes, especially in silicon valley are legendary.. my commute very regularly can hover around 2 hrs per trip).

I also covet a wfh situation but neither offers this in the immediate (but i've come to learn that the contract job has that possibility if thing go right).

I ended up choosing Job B myself (the contract job with title promotion and 50% more pay, no benefits - which probably cuts down the pay to pretty equal.. maybe a 5% advantage to the contract job). And I must say its' the best thing I've done for myself - even if it's less stable and may have and end date at which I need to find another job.

The freedom.

The work (more fulfilling and to my liking and strengths and what i love to do)- more engineering, design, analytical now than appoitnment-based "customer orders me around" work.

The self-worth lift in the increase in pay (i'm earning what I always hoped and dreamed i would earn)

There is nothing like that. And although i may not have the guarantee of more "freedom" as i did with my more "stable" lower level "can do in my sleep" job at the university - I find my energy and tempermant somehow makes it feel like i have much more free time and ability to pursuit things I've wanted to pursue.

That may change come 1 yr when my contract can be let go.. but at the same time i feel so much more confident and will have the resume to more confidently get the better jobs if i must re-search it next time around. And be in stronger position to demand and ask for more to maintain the level I feel i'm at now.

So if i were to think "i was trying to write a book" or had some major aspiration like that - which situation would allow me to achieve that in my choice. It would stil be Job B. While yes at first it may be busier and not allow you to get things done - the energy, the finances, the pride you feel, the energy you have for each day in knowing you are doing more meaningful work for yourself and your meaningful productivity - i'm going to believe somehow that all adds up to you being able to find the energy and time to write the book anyway ... the "pleasant surprise bonus" that comes with choosing a more fulfilling, enriching, and energizing life situation.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

I've been at my current job for 5 years and haven't every really loved it much but it my role was so niche that I couldn't find a way out. But lately I've taken on a side role that's opened doors to a new product management career path at other companies, so here are my options now and I'm hoping for some feedback:

Job A (current): Slightly warmer than lukewarm feelings on what I do. No growth. Company is in shaky financial ground. Benefits cut. Meager salary. I manage to pay the bills but not much beyond that and I'm still paying off debt. However, I now work from home permanently. Small team, nearly self-managed, with hardly any oversight (our manager quit and the company has no immediate intention of filling the position).

Job B: Slightly warmer than lukewarm feelings on product management. Lots of growth in a booming software industry. Generous benefits with generous salary options. Will drastically shorten the time it would take to pay off my remaining debt. However, will have to commute to an office again (the commute will be short though since I live close to the software hub). I'll be a newbie, so understandably I'll have a lot more oversight and expectations. I'm fully prepared to bring my A-game, it'll just be a change of pace because I've been on auto-pilot for a while.

In my heart, I'm a creative person and I like writing. The true dream is to get a book published, but I'm also a realist so I know I need a day job in the meantime - and very likely even after. So I suppose that's the underlying crux of the dilemma: which day job will better allow me to pursue my creative endeavors? Job A gives me a lot of free time - literally as well as mentally - but also leaves me in a financial dead-end. Job B will take up more time and head space, but the financial gain opens doors in other ways like being able to take some classes on the side or actually having the money to go out and network.

Thoughts?

Job B

Ditch job A that doesn't stimulate, no growth and measly money.

Yes, you would have to drive into work but you will be compensated for it with a higher salary, challenges and room for growth.

Based on how you laid it all out, this should be a no brainer.

If you love writing, you will find the time for it, no matter what.

Wow! Thank you everyone for your responses and insight. It's funny, almost immediately after writing out post and seeing it all there in front of me, I had sort of a "duh" moment of realization. I suppose sometimes you get so caught up in your own head that you miss the obvious. And the unanimous advice for picking Job B is extremely validating.

Do you want to thrive or be complacent?

if having an "easy" job is your priority you know what your immediate future will look like.

The above were the kick-in-the-butt statements I needed to hear. I've always considered myself a pretty motivated person but this was a good eye-opener. I think being in a position with minimum oversight and minimum gain has put me in a very complacent mindset and I have gotten a little too comfortable skating by. That's typically not like me, so I'm glad this was pointed out. Even if though I'd be much busier with Job B, I think having more responsibilities and expectations - and being rewarded for them - in a workplace setting will in turn give me the stimulation I need to put more expectations on myself in other aspects of my life as well.

Consider that having some financial stability and extra money in your pocket will actually free you to pursue what you want more rather than less.

So true. I wouldn't be surprised if having these financial burdens always hovering around somewhere in the front or back of my mind has been mentally draining me. The opportunity to get myself out of this is right there. I just need to jump on it.

New plan. I'm going to aggressively get on the job hunt for product manager roles (I've only been putting out applications here and there so far). Job hunting is never fun: but no pain, no gain.

Thanks again, everyone!

So true. I wouldn't be surprised if having these financial burdens always hovering around somewhere in the front or back of my mind has been mentally draining me. The opportunity to get myself out of this is right there. I just need to jump on it.

Rule of thumb, if an employer pulls an underhanded move such as switching you to a role you never agreed to, that's your signal to do whatever it takes to stop dealing with that employer. Even a lateral move out of there for a temporary stopover from which to seek a better job is preferable to remaining on the payroll of someone who has demonstrated that level of disregard for you. Forget red flag, that's a giant neon sign that nothing good can come from that work relationship.

Head high.

• 2 weeks later...

It is great that you are in the position where you can choose which job will benefit you more! I think you should do what your heart tells you. If you are set on lowering the amount of time you need to pay off your debt, the job b is the greatest! Do what you think is the best for you! I hope everything works out.

Archived