LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stuck between 2 day job options

Platinum Member
    Did you actually get an offer from job b?

I'd make the jump to B while it's a choice. Otherwise, job A's financial problems could land you into unemployment after B is no longer available.

Bronze Member
    Wow! Thank you everyone for your responses and insight. It's funny, almost immediately after writing out post and seeing it all there in front of me, I had sort of a "duh" moment of realization. I suppose sometimes you get so caught up in your own head that you miss the obvious. And the unanimous advice for picking Job B is extremely validating.

Do you want to thrive or be complacent?
    if having an "easy" job is your priority you know what your immediate future will look like.
    The above were the kick-in-the-butt statements I needed to hear. I've always considered myself a pretty motivated person but this was a good eye-opener. I think being in a position with minimum oversight and minimum gain has put me in a very complacent mindset and I have gotten a little too comfortable skating by. That's typically not like me, so I'm glad this was pointed out. Even if though I'd be much busier with Job B, I think having more responsibilities and expectations - and being rewarded for them - in a workplace setting will in turn give me the stimulation I need to put more expectations on myself in other aspects of my life as well.

Consider that having some financial stability and extra money in your pocket will actually free you to pursue what you want more rather than less.
    So true. I wouldn't be surprised if having these financial burdens always hovering around somewhere in the front or back of my mind has been mentally draining me. The opportunity to get myself out of this is right there. I just need to jump on it.

New plan. I'm going to aggressively get on the job hunt for product manager roles (I've only been putting out applications here and there so far). Job hunting is never fun: but no pain, no gain.

Thanks again, everyone!

Originally Posted by stella m
    So true. I wouldn't be surprised if having these financial burdens always hovering around somewhere in the front or back of my mind has been mentally draining me. The opportunity to get myself out of this is right there. I just need to jump on it.
    Rule of thumb, if an employer pulls an underhanded move such as switching you to a role you never agreed to, that's your signal to do whatever it takes to stop dealing with that employer. Even a lateral move out of there for a temporary stopover from which to seek a better job is preferable to remaining on the payroll of someone who has demonstrated that level of disregard for you. Forget red flag, that's a giant neon sign that nothing good can come from that work relationship.

Head high.

It is great that you are in the position where you can choose which job will benefit you more! I think you should do what your heart tells you. If you are set on lowering the amount of time you need to pay off your debt, the job b is the greatest! Do what you think is the best for you! I hope everything works out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Give Advice
Ask For Advice