Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If/when my husband gets posted out of the province

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared

If/when my husband gets posted out of the province

There is a strong possibility we are leaving our current posting within a year. It could be out of province. My husband and I discussed my staying behind with our son due to his disability payments. If we leave the province and then come back he would lose his disability payments and not be re enstated due to current political climate. It is not like we havenít done the IR story before. We did it for 5 years before when my son was young.

If we stay within Ontario then I will move with him.

I was losing my noodle yesterday when I found out we were posting out in the ď nearish ď future. I just got a life together for ME that is not devoted 100% to other people.

Hopefully, they would let him go IR. We really donít want to be parted but it is the only financially fair thing for our son.

I'm sorry for my ignorance but what does "posted out" mean in this context?

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Originally Posted by Annia
    I'm sorry for my ignorance but what does "posted out" mean in this context?
    My husband is Military. It means to move to another base.

For reference for non-Canadian / non-CF folks, IR is "imposed restriction," basically when a serviceman's new station would mean leaving his or her family behind at their current residence. Comes with a slew of benefits, though for obvious reasons, being separated can suck. Only know because I looked it up thinking it was their version of our inactive ready reserve (IRR) and that wouldn't have made a lot of sense.

Sorry to hear this got sprung up on you guys. IIRC, your husband's commissioned and has a few years of service under his belt. Assuming they're in no rush to get him out and he's got enough years to make retirement affordable for your family, is he in a position to play a little bit of hardball and kinda let them know he'd like to serve but there may be conditions which make it more worth retiring?

Originally Posted by j.man
    For reference for non-Canadian / non-CF folks, IR is "imposed restriction," basically when a serviceman's new station would mean leaving his or her family behind at their current residence. Comes with a slew of benefits, though for obvious reasons, being separated can suck. Only know because I looked it up thinking it was their version of our inactive ready reserve (IRR) and that wouldn't have made a lot of sense.

Sorry to hear this got sprung up on you guys. IIRC, your husband's commissioned and has a few years of service under his belt. Assuming they're in no rush to get him out and he's got enough years to make retirement affordable for your family, is he in a position to play a little bit of hardball and kinda let them know he'd like to serve but there may be conditions which make it more worth retiring?
    Unfortunately, IR has lost some benefits. They no longer pay for the servicemanís food just lodging. He has 21 years reserve service , for which they gave him 10 years for when he went regular force. He bought 7 years . And he has served almost 10 years Reg Force. So,he has I believe 27 years . At 35 years he maxes out his pension which is what he is going for plus a few years. At 35 years he gets 72% of best 5 years as his retirement monthly income.

He can play a bit of hardball but he wants to serve out his 10 more years.

Yes, unfornately this is the life and things military families must deal with that us normal civilians do not. Hang in there. I think it's the correct decision to keep your son's disability payments (that or somehow migrate to Canada or the like).

Originally Posted by thisisrichey
    Yes, unfornately this is the life and things military families must deal with that us normal civilians do not. Hang in there. I think it's the correct decision to keep your son's disability payments (that or somehow migrate to Canada or the like).
    I am Canadian. I have always lived in Canada . It is if he leaves the province and we come back to Ontario he will he will never get benefits again because the current premier is a ......

Platinum Member
    What a strange set up. I would think benefits would apply anywhere in the country, as it is Canada.

Sorry, that you are dealing with this. How long would he be at the new post?

Originally Posted by Hollyj
    What a strange set up. I would think benefits would apply anywhere in the country, as it is Canada.

Sorry, that you are dealing with this. How long would he be at the new post?
    Some disability benefits are federal and some are provincial . My son doesnít qualify for federal but he does qualify for provincial. ( figure that out)

Most postings are a few years long .

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by ~Seraphim ~
    Some disability benefits are federal and some are provincial . My son doesnít qualify for federal but he does qualify for provincial. ( figure that out)

Most postings are a few years long .
    That is ridiculous!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice