If/when my husband gets posted out of the province

There is a strong possibility we are leaving our current posting within a year. It could be out of province. My husband and I discussed my staying behind with our son due to his disability payments. If we leave the province and then come back he would lose his disability payments and not be re enstated due to current political climate. It is not like we haven’t done the IR story before. We did it for 5 years before when my son was young.

If we stay within Ontario then I will move with him.

I was losing my noodle yesterday when I found out we were posting out in the “ nearish “ future. I just got a life together for ME that is not devoted 100% to other people.

Hopefully, they would let him go IR. We really don’t want to be parted but it is the only financially fair thing for our son.

For reference for non-Canadian / non-CF folks, IR is "imposed restriction," basically when a serviceman's new station would mean leaving his or her family behind at their current residence. Comes with a slew of benefits, though for obvious reasons, being separated can suck. Only know because I looked it up thinking it was their version of our inactive ready reserve (IRR) and that wouldn't have made a lot of sense.

Sorry to hear this got sprung up on you guys. IIRC, your husband's commissioned and has a few years of service under his belt. Assuming they're in no rush to get him out and he's got enough years to make retirement affordable for your family, is he in a position to play a little bit of hardball and kinda let them know he'd like to serve but there may be conditions which make it more worth retiring?

For reference for non-Canadian / non-CF folks, IR is "imposed restriction," basically when a serviceman's new station would mean leaving his or her family behind at their current residence. Comes with a slew of benefits, though for obvious reasons, being separated can suck. Only know because I looked it up thinking it was their version of our inactive ready reserve (IRR) and that wouldn't have made a lot of sense.

Sorry to hear this got sprung up on you guys. IIRC, your husband's commissioned and has a few years of service under his belt. Assuming they're in no rush to get him out and he's got enough years to make retirement affordable for your family, is he in a position to play a little bit of hardball and kinda let them know he'd like to serve but there may be conditions which make it more worth retiring?

Unfortunately, IR has lost some benefits. They no longer pay for the serviceman’s food just lodging. He has 21 years reserve service , for which they gave him 10 years for when he went regular force. He bought 7 years . And he has served almost 10 years Reg Force. So,he has I believe 27 years . At 35 years he maxes out his pension which is what he is going for plus a few years. At 35 years he gets 72% of best 5 years as his retirement monthly income.

He can play a bit of hardball but he wants to serve out his 10 more years.

Yes, unfornately this is the life and things military families must deal with that us normal civilians do not. Hang in there. I think it's the correct decision to keep your son's disability payments (that or somehow migrate to Canada or the like).

I am Canadian. I have always lived in Canada . It is if he leaves the province and we come back to Ontario he will he will never get benefits again because the current premier is a ......

What a strange set up. I would think benefits would apply anywhere in the country, as it is Canada.

Sorry, that you are dealing with this. How long would he be at the new post?

Some disability benefits are federal and some are provincial . My son doesn’t qualify for federal but he does qualify for provincial. ( figure that out)

Most postings are a few years long .

I wonder if meeting with a specialty attorney could help your family build a hardship case around your son's needs. The earlier your husband presents this case, the more options he may be offered. It may be worth a shot.

I am not sure the military would care about a civilian lawyer. However, we are doing building our own case.

The lawyer isn't to impress anyone, it's to advise you on all possible elements and avenues to present that you may not be aware of.

Friends who have children with special needs and need services at their local public school often hire an attorney with this sort of thing plus sometimes to attend meetings concerning their rights.

The thing is the military does not care. Go where you are told or get out . You signed on the dotted line they own you . They try IF they can to take your needs into consideration but ultimately it’s where the military needs you. My son is also an adult they don’t even move him . We have to pay to move him . Because he’s not covered by federal disability we have to move him ourselves because he is no longer considered a dependent . He is not even covered by my husband‘s insurance anymore . All his medical needs are paid for by the Ontario disability program . So according to the military he is considered an adult and no longer their problem .

Just an aside, I think it's so wrong that the Feds don't recognize your son as having a disability . Meanwhile, able people who are pure lazy are receiving disability benefits. It's just sick.

It also infuriates me that it is not distributed equitably . I’ve seen people far less disabled than my son get the federal pension and the ability to save for their retirement through RDSP and my son can’t not.

Or people collecting welfare like my stepsister who has only ever worked six months in her life totally and completely able-bodied but yet just has more and more kids as her retirement plan so that she can get over $30,000 a year or more in childcare payments and not have to do a thing . And she gives half the kids their father’s name and half her kids her name and states that her whatever boyfriend at the time doesn’t live there so that she can get the full benefit of whatever from wherever . And yet she can have a whole baseball team more of the kids ( paid for by the government)and then I get to knock myself out helping my one child . Not that I blame her children because they can’t be held accountable for their mother but it burns my biscuit.

All I want is for my son to be treated equitably by the government .

• 3 weeks later...

Archived