Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How can I kick my cousin out of my house?

How can I kick my cousin out of my house?

So I need a little bit of advise of an issue Iím having. So my cousin who is a guy got evicted from his apartment due to his roommate not paying half of his rent. Anyways he contacted me the day it happened asking if he could stay with me for a month while he looks for a new place and pay half of my rent. This was on January 23rd and he move in the very next day. (By the way I live in a one bedroom apartment and the bathroom is in my bedroom). So I was asking him yesterday if he had started to look at places and he told me that he would start looking at the end of February because he wants to make sure he has enough cash, mind you he actually makes more money than me (at least thatís what he said).

So my issue is that when we initially talked I only agreed to him staying because he said it would only be a month. The other thing is that I am a female and I need my personal space. Third thing is that 2 years ago I let this cousin stay with me almost 2 years ago and the only thing I asked him to pay was the electricity bill and he only paid half of it. Iím not okay with him staying that long and I need advise on how to tell him without sounding harsh. The other thing is that heís parents have a huge house with a whole bunch on bedrooms, but he does not want to go home b.c of his pride

Platinum Member
    You did agree to him staying with you for a month. I would tell him that he needs to be out by the end of February,, according to your agreement. He needs to start looking now.

Next time, do not agree to these types of situations, if people have other options. Learn to say no!

I'm not entirely sure how he retains more pride knowing someone is sleeping in the bathroom for his benefit than if he were to go back home, but at the end of the day, you told him he could stay there a month. He's only been there a week, so he has no rights. You could demand he leave and call the sheriff if he refuses. You can try to nicely appeal to him, telling him how the lack of space is more uncomfortable and stressful than you'd thought, and hope it'll light a fire under his ass out of courtesy. Or you can stick to hosting him for the time you said you would.

Unfortunately, all you have is his initial word he'd be there only a month. You trust him with that or you kick him out. Riding him about his apartment hunting efforts won't help anyone.

Just sit him down and reiterate that he can only stay for one month and needs to figure out where to go before that time runs out. Blame your lease restrictions, that you can't have extended guests staying with you and also that this is a big hardship on you. You are doing him a huge favor, but it can't be extended beyond what you initially offered. Also, do not accept any rent payments, it can create a tenant right for him. Without money, he is just a guest and so if push comes to shove, you can kick him out any time you want to.

Remember, that being direct and blunt is not rude or mean. This is a situation where you don't mince words or try to cushion anything. Nothing to cushion. Just tell him straight up that you are sorry he got evicted, but he has to be gone out of your home on or before Feb 23 and it's not negotiable.

Platinum Member
    Stick true to your word. He looks for an apartment that he can move into by the 1st of March. If he is there past that, then that's a different story. I understand whatDF is saying about the 23rd, but in reality, not all landlords will let you move in early unless it has been vacant awhile.

Originally Posted by abitbroken
    Stick true to your word. He looks for an apartment that he can move into by the 1st of March. If he is there past that, then that's a different story. I understand whatDF is saying about the 23rd, but in reality, not all landlords will let you move in early unless it has been vacant awhile.
    Maybe it's a US thing, but there is no move in/out on the 1st. You can rent whenever unit is available regardless of day or the month. Rent simply gets prorated and if they have a lot of units available, then landlords will often waive that week or two as a move in enticement.

Either way, since he is already seeking to push OP's boundaries and stated limits, I wouldn't indicate that I'm in any way willing to flex for even one day, even if in reality, if he found a place and rented it and move in is March 10th, I'd let him stay until then. Under the circumstances, the OP, needs to stay very very firm and stick to that hard deadline. He needs to believe her. If she tells him, I said one month, but you can stay an extra week....she is already showing him he can keep pushing that boundary because she won't enforce it.

Originally Posted by j.man
    I'm not entirely sure how he retains more pride knowing someone is sleeping in the bathroom for his benefit than if he were to go back home, but at the end of the day, you told him he could stay there a month. He's only been there a week, so he has no rights. You could demand he leave and call the sheriff if he refuses. You can try to nicely appeal to him, telling him how the lack of space is more uncomfortable and stressful than you'd thought, and hope it'll light a fire under his ass out of courtesy. Or you can stick to hosting him for the time you said you would.

Unfortunately, all you have is his initial word he'd be there only a month. You trust him with that or you kick him out. Riding him about his apartment hunting efforts won't help anyone.
    Lol he actually sleeps on the couch, but I mentioned how the bathroom is in my bedroom to explain how much privacy I donít have. Anyways you are still right I will just remind him that I only agreed for him to stay a month

Give him something in writing with specifics. Include that the agreement was 1 mo and give g him 30 days (or whatever) from the day you s give him the letter. His stories are not adding up including the eviction, how much he makes and delaying looking for housing. Does he do drugs, gamble?

Make sure he doesn't get comfortable and unfortunately that means you should only take money for "expenses" not rent as that could establish this as his "residence." The hell with his "pride" send him packing to mom and dad.

How is getting evicted and mooching off you "pride"? He's exploiting you His parents are your aunt/uncle? Call and say hi and that you can not house him..They know more about this than he's telling you.
    Originally Posted by CBC2000
    asking if he could stay with me for a month. he would start looking at the end of February because he wants to make sure he has enough cash, mind you he actually makes more money than me (at least thatís what he said).

The other thing is that heís parents have a huge house with a whole bunch on bedrooms, but he does not want to go home b.c of his pride

Originally Posted by Wiseman2
    Give him something in writing with specifics. Include that the agreement was 1 mo and give g him 30 days (or whatever) from the day you s give him the letter. His stories are not adding up including the eviction, how much he makes and delaying looking for housing. Does he do drugs, gamble?

Make sure he doesn't get comfortable and unfortunately that means you should only take money for "expenses" not rent as that could establish this as his "residence." The hell with his "pride" send him packing to mom and dad.

How is getting evicted and mooching off you "pride"? He's exploiting you His parents are your aunt/uncle? Call and say hi and that you can not house him..They know more about this than he's telling you.
    He told me that his prior tenants where calling his roommate for about a week and he was not picking up the phone so they ended up calling him.

I will speak to him and let him know that he has to be out by the end of the month per prior agreement. I try to help people and always end up getting screwed over

Originally Posted by DancingFool
    Maybe it's a US thing, but there is no move in/out on the 1st. You can rent whenever unit is available regardless of day or the month. Rent simply gets prorated and if they have a lot of units available, then landlords will often waive that week or two as a move in enticement.

Either way, since he is already seeking to push OP's boundaries and stated limits, I wouldn't indicate that I'm in any way willing to flex for even one day, even if in reality, if he found a place and rented it and move in is March 10th, I'd let him stay until then. Under the circumstances, the OP, needs to stay very very firm and stick to that hard deadline. He needs to believe her. If she tells him, I said one month, but you can stay an extra week....she is already showing him he can keep pushing that boundary because she won't enforce it.
    In the Us itís the same, you can rent whenever the unit is available, which is why Iím not understanding why he wants to wait until the end of February to do it. He said he wants to present solid check stubs He has like 2 jobs, but he gets paid more that me with just one of his jobs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice