Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How can I kick my cousin out of my house?

I mean, he should be looking just for it being the responsible thing to do, but while yes, landlords don't have to stick to the 1st through the 5th move-in, ending tenancy at the last day of the month and spending the first few days of the next cleaning and doing minor renos tends to be the surest way to limit vacancy periods. He can expect a good 90%+ of his decent prospects to have a March move-in.

Still, that's not your problem and is further why you've got zero reason to be inquiring on his apartment application status. You gave him a month. At the end of that period, he's either moving into his sparkly new apartment or finding alternative arrangements until he can.

I agree with being blunt and not sparing any key terms, but you two are sharing some pretty close quarters, so I might make an effort to include a pinch of sugar in your presentation when confirming the arrangement.

Originally Posted by j.man
    I mean, he should be looking just for it being the responsible thing to do, but while yes, landlords don't have to stick to the 1st through the 5th move-in, ending tenancy at the end of the month and spending the first few days of the next cleaning and doing minor renos tends to be the surest way to limit vacancy periods. He can expect a good 90%+ of his decent prospects to have a March move-in.

Still, that's not your problem and is further why you've got zero reason to be inquiring on his apartment application status. You gave him a month. At the end of that period, he's either moving into his sparkly new apartment or finding alternative arrangements until he can.

I agree with being blunt and not sparing any key terms, but you two are sharing some pretty close quarters, so I might make an effort to include a pinch of sugar in your presentation when confirming the arrangement.
    I donít care what he decides to do after the month. But when he was speaking about it yesterday, it definitely sounded like he was planning on staying until he found a new apartment. I did send him a text letting him know that he has a month to move out.

I agree with the others. He needs to start looking now so that he can move in to a new apartment 1st March the latest. If not he can stay at his parents, not your problem. I'd research the tenancy laws in your area to make sure that by paying you rent he's not getting rights to stay there longer than he should (I have no idea of how these things work).

Platinum Member
    When i have moved into apartments that were owned by a conglomerate or in a building, it was pretty regimented. They rented from the 1st to the 1st. It helped keep all their accounting straight as an arrow. Private landlords who are renting out their starter home, the second half of their duplex, or the in-law apartment it doesn't matter so much. They are more flexible.

I would think in your mind the deadline is march 1st but do a happy dance in your head if he is out ahead of that. He has given you zero reason to think that he would abuse it and you ALREADY agreed to the terms.

Excellent. Exactly. Where he goes or what he does when the agreed time is up is not your problem. He has to figure out what to do from there. Do not even discuss money, landlord terms, etc. Did you call your aunt/uncle and find out the real reason he won't (or can't) stay there?
    Originally Posted by CBC2000
    I donít care what he decides to do after the month. I did send him a text letting him know that he has a month to move out.

Originally Posted by Wiseman2
    Excellent. Exactly. Where he goes or what he does when the agreed time is up is not your problem. He has to figure out what to do from there. Do not even discuss money, landlord terms, etc. Did you call your aunt/uncle and find out the real reason he won't (or can't) stay there?
    I havenít spoken to them, but this has been going on for some years now and Iíve spoken to them about this before. The reason he wonít go home is because he canít do whatever he wants when heís there and because he feels like he has to prove to his parents that he can make it out on his own. Heís parents actually wouldnít mind having him back home.

Platinum Member
    I think instead of punishing your cousin by being a hardass about him moving out on an exact date, that you should decide going forward its okay to say "no" to people. If you say yes, the you can't cast blame on them for you saying yes. Does that make sense? If you said "sure, you can stay here til the end of next month' - then stand by your word and do so cheerfully instead of making sure he knows he can't stay one extra moment over and over. If you didn't really want him to stay, then you should have said no upfront vs saying yes and telling us how much you are suffering over it or assuming he is out to take advantage.

Ok let him stay only and exactly the agreed upon duration. Do not let him get too comfortable. A roof for a month is all you offered in this agreement. Then he can go home to mom and dad and learn to live by their rules, or chronically get evicted from places.

Does he use drugs or drink or play video games all day and not help out? What sort of "do whatever he wants" things don't fly at mom and dad's?
    Originally Posted by CBC2000
    this has been going on for some years now and Iíve spoken to them about this before. The reason he wonít go home is because he canít do whatever he wants when heís there. Heís parents actually wouldnít mind having him back home.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Give Advice
Ask For Advice