Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: Nursing instructor gave me a Strike for being late despite emailing her?

Your instructor was probably angered because you violated the clear procedure she had in place doing what was convenient to you (email) while disregarding her clear "only call" rule. Respecting procedures is important in Nursing. Bypassing procedures (and email was a form of bypassing) can get people injured or killed. Imo, it was not so much your being late that set her off as your disregard of the set rules. Chances are that you are not the only person she has had to deal with in that manner. There are probably all kinds of emergencies and people trying to bend the rules to their convenience. If everyone behaved like you did during their subjective emergency, clinicals would not run smoothly. She probably made an example out of you so that you and other people may think twice before deciding to do what is convenient instead of what is required. Clinical instructors are busy people and don't appreciate having their schedule derailed. If you ever find yourself in her shoes, you will probably feel equally frustrated with the people who bypass rules like that. You will be ok as long as you don't repeat the same mistake.

2. 01-30-2019, 07:28 PM

Iím in a similar type of schooling, and professionalism issues are considered a million times more serious and concerning than basically any academic problem. They take it very very seriously. I can certainly see myself getting chewed out as you did in the same situation. I know it can feel hurtful to be reprimanded like that, but just consider it a lesson learned. Part of the education in this field is learning to take criticism and not make excuses. Make sure to be prompt from now on and communicate clearly with your instructor, and Iím sure youíll do just fine for the rest of the course.

I would also have a talk with your mom explaining to her what the expectations are at school and making sure she understands that you unfortunately donít have much leeway.

I'm all for compassion and such but I really wouldn't want my doctor to be someone they had to treat with kid gloves and let slide by. I also wouldn't want a pilot or anyone one else in any profession dealing with lives, safety, etc to be the one that couldn't cut it and needed pampering and special treatment.

Platinum Member
    It sounds also like you chose to email to avoid confrontation/direct contact. I mean, if you were driving, wouldn't a phone call be the safest thing to do? Anyhow, it is a good lesson going forward.

Platinum Member
    Why didn't you call, as you'd been instructed to do if you needed to reach her before 6:15?

OP what you are experiencing here is the real world. In our local health authority, employees are required to call in to a special number at a specific time to let their managers and team know they will be sick or late so that they have time to find coverage. It's for the benefit of patients and clients not just to appease the the management.

Originally Posted by oheyitsfaith
    I hear you guys as I appreciate your inputs. I will just have to be there twenty minutes early from now on. And just do my best cause I do hope to be a Women's Health nurse so let me not ruin my chance. I already scheduled an appointment with my counselor and talked to my mom about everything.
    I apologized to the instructor and was worried she would have a negative impression. She said she doesn't hold grudges...and I should just take care of myself. So that's it I guess. Just gotta move on. I just overthink and needed to vent it out and hear other inputs. Thanks.
    Good job. Consider that lots of instructors start off harsh at the start of a course to establish a high enough bar. They may back off only AFTER they've worked with you enough to learn your strengths and observe you fighting hard enough against your own weaknesses. They cannot do it the other way around by starting off soft then attempting to ramp up. In nursing, especially, they cannot risk that they have not taught you the kinds of rules and consequences your future supervisors and doctors will take seriously. And most especially in maternity, NObody can wait for a nurse to show up if a baby wants to bust loose.

Head high, you can do this. Treat it like the military so you won't 'expect' breaks, and then you'll train yourself to be prepared to deal with anything. Only then you'll be able to enjoy any future leniency if you encounter it.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Give Advice
Ask For Advice