Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nursing instructor gave me a Strike for being late despite emailing her?

Platinum Member
    This is very normal for programs like this! Next time, drop your sister off much earlier, or have a friend, neighbor, relative take her. If you were a part of a surgery team, this would be completely unacceptable.

Time to learn that if you are on time, you are LATE! Get everywhere 10 minutes early.

Originally Posted by Hollyj
    You did not call like you were supposed to. Then, you were on the phone for 15 minutes with your mother, instead of going to class.

You are going to have a hell of a time on the job, if you do not change your attitude. Your actions were irresponsible. Get your priorities in order!
    No, was on the phone for a minute. Then had panic attack trying to find her on the floor, which I did after five mins. I hear you.

Originally Posted by itsallgrand
    It sounds to me like you still believe you are in the right and that your professor is being an unreasonable hard ass ?
    Cause I communicated.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by oheyitsfaith
    No, was on the phone for a minute. Then had panic attack trying to find her on the floor, which I did after five mins. I hear you.
    You did not call before 6:15. These are her requirements.

You need a long talk with mom, you are not a baby sitter. You also need to look for student housing and speak with a campus counselor about your odd home environment.
    My sister is 13. I don't give her a ride daily as this is my mom's responsbility, it was just only yesterday bc my mom was at the hospital with my aunt who is in the ICU after giving birth.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Or your sister could have missed school. No biggy at 13.

Cause I communicated.
    Even if you did, it's not on others to accomadate you. I think that's what you aren't understanding. A part of maturing is understanding this. Emergencies are exceptions- but in some cases, employers don't even accomadate those.

Platinum Member
    Taking your sister to school was not an emergency. And, an email doesn't count.

Originally Posted by itsallgrand
    Even if you did, it's not on others to accomadate you. I think that's what you aren't understanding. A part of maturing is understanding this. Emergencies are exceptions- but in some cases, employers don't even accomadate those.
    I hear you guys as I appreciate your inputs. I will just have to be there twenty minutes early from now on. And just do my best cause I do hope to be a Women's Health nurse so let me not ruin my chance. I already scheduled an appointment with my counselor and talked to my mom about everything.
    I apologized to the instructor and was worried she would have a negative impression. She said she doesn't hold grudges...and I should just take care of myself. So that's it I guess. Just gotta move on. I just overthink and needed to vent it out and hear other inputs. Thanks.

Platinum Member
    I hear you guys as I appreciate your inputs. I will just have to be there twenty minutes early from now on. And just do my best cause I do hope to be a Women's Health nurse so let me not ruin my chance. I already scheduled an appointment with my counselor and talked to my mom about everything.
    I apologized to the instructor and was worried she would have a negative impression. She said she doesn't hold grudges...and I should just take care of myself. So that's it I guess. Just gotta move on. I just overthink and needed to vent it out and hear other inputs. Thanks.
    I'm glad you changed your attitude. I agree with the others. And reconsider whether the requirements of this job are right for you. It has more rigorous time requirements than other jobs -as it should because of the type of job it is. I always consider those kinds of requirements before applying for a job or program. I have worked in environments like yours and in environments where lateness has a less draconian result. But for me being on time no matter what is 100% essential unless the person follows the right procedure for lateness and even then it should be minimal. Yes, this job has even stricter requirements but any job with a timing requirement should be treated in the most professional way absent a life and death emergency. (When I first read about your program my first thought was a self-absorbed one -how important it was that there be nurses there 10 years ago at the hospital when I arrived there in active labor - in that way I can relate!!)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice