Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nursing instructor gave me a Strike for being late despite emailing her?

Bronze Member
    Hi oheyitsfaith,

How old is your sister? I don't know how your living arrangements / situation is at home, but if it's serious please talk to a counsellor at school to work things out.

Also, please put yourself in your professor's shoes. I'm guessing your professor is unaware of your real living situation as to why she probably stated it wasn't an emergency. Plus who really knows, she might have had a stressful week or whatever and didn't want to hear anything else any more.

You have an Unmet but not two, which means you can still pass the course. Don't be late again and keep going! :)

Originally Posted by greendots
    Hi oheyitsfaith,

How old is your sister? I don't know how your living arrangements / situation is at home, but if it's serious please talk to a counsellor at school to work things out.

Also, please put yourself in your professor's shoes. I'm guessing your professor is unaware of your real living situation as to why she probably stated it wasn't an emergency. Plus who really knows, she might have had a stressful week or whatever and didn't want to hear anything else any more.

You have an Unmet but not two, which means you can still pass the course. Don't be late again and keep going! :)

My sister is 13. I don't give her a ride daily as this is my mom's responsbility, it was just only yesterday bc my mom was at the hospital with my aunt who is in the ICU after giving birth.

Originally Posted by mustlovedogs
    So you were 40 minutes late? And you called your mom before your professor?

Donít blame this on anxiety. No offense, but if you canít handle proper decision making in low stress environments like this, then maybe being a nurse isnít the right path. There are rules for a reason - you are training to handle lives.

Just be on time. Thatís your only option.
    Well I am currently a certified nursing assistant, and I have already experienced high-stress environments. And I've always communicated with my supervisors I would be late. It's not like I didn't.

I understand but things do happen. And if I was in a job, I would communicate with my supervisor.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    I know it was an extreme circumstance but the real world unfortunately doesnít care.

If your sister is 13, she can find her own way to school. This isn't a valid excuse in my opinion.

Platinum Member
    You could have dropped your sister off at school early. If she is half an hour early or whatever, staff is there. Or mom could. Or if she knew your mother could not drive her, then she can arrange to be dropped off at a friend's house to go with the fried. Sorry, you were definitely late and it doesn't show well for being late so early in the program.

Originally Posted by oheyitsfaith
    My sister is 13. I don't give her a ride daily as this is my mom's responsbility, it was just only yesterday bc my mom was at the hospital with my aunt who is in the ICU after giving birth.
    Then you could have left half hour earlier and still made it on time to where you need to be. This wasn't completely sprung on you last second as you were walking out the door. Even then, as others already pointed out, your sister missing a day of school is a lesser problem than you missing your clinicals. You've got to learn to prioritize correctly.

I'll just say it again - stop making excuses, learn from this and be grateful that you have professors willing to teach the hard lessons. In the grand scheme of things, nothing actually happened to you other than you got a ding that means nothing unless you get another one. Good part with school is that you can make these kinds of mistakes, misjudgments and you aren't sitting unemployed wondering how you'll pay your rent or mortgage next month.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by oheyitsfaith
    Well I am currently a certified nursing assistant, and I have already experienced high-stress environments. And I've always communicated with my supervisors I would be late. It's not like I didn't.
    You did not call like you were supposed to. Then, you were on the phone for 15 minutes with your mother, instead of going to class.

You are going to have a hell of a time on the job, if you do not change your attitude. Your actions were irresponsible. Get your priorities in order!

It sounds to me like you still believe you are in the right and that your professor is being an unreasonable hard ass ?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice