Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 47

Thread: Nursing instructor gave me a Strike for being late despite emailing her?

  1. #11
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    214
    Hi oheyitsfaith,

    How old is your sister? I don't know how your living arrangements / situation is at home, but if it's serious please talk to a counsellor at school to work things out.

    Also, please put yourself in your professor's shoes. I'm guessing your professor is unaware of your real living situation as to why she probably stated it wasn't an emergency. Plus who really knows, she might have had a stressful week or whatever and didn't want to hear anything else any more.

    You have an Unmet but not two, which means you can still pass the course. Don't be late again and keep going! :)

  2. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    28
    Originally Posted by greendots
    Hi oheyitsfaith,

    How old is your sister? I don't know how your living arrangements / situation is at home, but if it's serious please talk to a counsellor at school to work things out.

    Also, please put yourself in your professor's shoes. I'm guessing your professor is unaware of your real living situation as to why she probably stated it wasn't an emergency. Plus who really knows, she might have had a stressful week or whatever and didn't want to hear anything else any more.

    You have an Unmet but not two, which means you can still pass the course. Don't be late again and keep going! :)

    My sister is 13. I don't give her a ride daily as this is my mom's responsbility, it was just only yesterday bc my mom was at the hospital with my aunt who is in the ICU after giving birth.

  3. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    28
    Originally Posted by mustlovedogs
    So you were 40 minutes late? And you called your mom before your professor?

    Donít blame this on anxiety. No offense, but if you canít handle proper decision making in low stress environments like this, then maybe being a nurse isnít the right path. There are rules for a reason - you are training to handle lives.

    Just be on time. Thatís your only option.
    Well I am currently a certified nursing assistant, and I have already experienced high-stress environments. And I've always communicated with my supervisors I would be late. It's not like I didn't.

  4. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    28
    I understand but things do happen. And if I was in a job, I would communicate with my supervisor.

  5.  

  6. #15
    Forum Supporter ~Seraphim ~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Age
    52
    Posts
    35,910
    Gender
    Female
    I know it was an extreme circumstance but the real world unfortunately doesnít care.

  7. #16
    Platinum Member SherrySher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    5,128
    If your sister is 13, she can find her own way to school. This isn't a valid excuse in my opinion.

  8. #17
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    23,089
    Gender
    Female
    You could have dropped your sister off at school early. If she is half an hour early or whatever, staff is there. Or mom could. Or if she knew your mother could not drive her, then she can arrange to be dropped off at a friend's house to go with the fried. Sorry, you were definitely late and it doesn't show well for being late so early in the program.

  9. #18
    Platinum Member DancingFool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Wilds of Texas
    Posts
    9,435
    Gender
    Female
    Originally Posted by oheyitsfaith
    My sister is 13. I don't give her a ride daily as this is my mom's responsbility, it was just only yesterday bc my mom was at the hospital with my aunt who is in the ICU after giving birth.
    Then you could have left half hour earlier and still made it on time to where you need to be. This wasn't completely sprung on you last second as you were walking out the door. Even then, as others already pointed out, your sister missing a day of school is a lesser problem than you missing your clinicals. You've got to learn to prioritize correctly.

    I'll just say it again - stop making excuses, learn from this and be grateful that you have professors willing to teach the hard lessons. In the grand scheme of things, nothing actually happened to you other than you got a ding that means nothing unless you get another one. Good part with school is that you can make these kinds of mistakes, misjudgments and you aren't sitting unemployed wondering how you'll pay your rent or mortgage next month.

  10. #19
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    19,210
    Originally Posted by oheyitsfaith
    Well I am currently a certified nursing assistant, and I have already experienced high-stress environments. And I've always communicated with my supervisors I would be late. It's not like I didn't.
    You did not call like you were supposed to. Then, you were on the phone for 15 minutes with your mother, instead of going to class.

    You are going to have a hell of a time on the job, if you do not change your attitude. Your actions were irresponsible. Get your priorities in order!

  11. #20
    Platinum Member itsallgrand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    16,127
    It sounds to me like you still believe you are in the right and that your professor is being an unreasonable hard ass ?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •