My ex is accusing me of hacking his account, and threatening to press charges!

Hello, my ex is accusing me of hacking his Instagram and snap chat accounts. He asked me to not contact him after we broke up, but I continued to do it. I was depressed. I didn’t have anyone to talk to about what was going on. In September I received texts from him accusing me of hacking his Instagram account. Apparently, someone hacked his account and sent screenshots of him talking to other women to the new woman that he has been seeing! To be clear, I DON’T KNOW the new woman that he’s dealing with. I don’t know her name, what she looks like, or anything about her! How could I send something to a person that I don’t know? I told him that I didn’t do it, but he insisted that it was me. We reconnected this past December. Of course, thing didn’t work out. Today I received texts from him accusing me of hacking into his Snapchat account. I’m guessing that the hacker sent stuff to the same person? The funny part is that I’ve never used Snapchat before and I don’t even know his Snapchat. He’s claiming that he received an email saying that hacker used a device in the city where I live. He’s threatening to get a ppo against me and press charges. Apart me think that he’s lying about everything, but another part of me believes that the new person that he’s dealing with is probably the one logging into his accounts.

I hope that he discovers the truth one day, but I’ve decided that I’m not going to let his drama bring me down. I blocked his number! I’m not worried about him pressing charges, he can’t prove it because I didn’t do it! My only concern is the ppo. He can prove that I continued to contact him after the break up.

I would suspect he is fabricating part of the story to incite drama and reestablish contact with you. Nonetheless, your relationship with your ex has entered a dangerous legal territory. If he actually did either of the actions he threatened, that would be something you'd have to explain on every job application and would show up on any background check performed, regardless of your innocence. Block and delete all social media ties, and do not reply to any communications that sneak through.

Does he realize that most judges aren't just going to take his word that it's you accessing his social media accounts?

EX: "Your honour, it was my ex. I'm sure! The device comes from the same city where she lives."

Judge: "Sweet, that's all the proof I need to grant you a PPO. Signed, sealed, delivered!"

No. Your ex is making noise probably because his girlfriend is upset about his shady behaviour, and he is over-compensating with an exaggerated threat. The likelihood he'd be granted a protection order based on essentially no evidence is slim to none, so don't sweat that. He doesn't seem to get it's not as simple as claiming he thinks he knows who's behind it. There's an investigative process to determine the actual source of the hack.

Have no further contact with him regardless, and don't respond to his threats. If you're truly worried, seek a consultation with an attorney so you can be informed yourself. I think you actually have nothing to worry about legally-speaking, but again, do not engage with him anymore.

It's a good decision you blocked and delete. I suggest blocking and deleting him on every platform and only reach to him (through the legal mediums, attourney and stuff) if he presses charges. Never contact him again through text, telephone or anything and avoid him at all costs. To accuse you he needs actual proof it was you and your IP that accessed the accounts, and not only that might take time to proof as it being that it wasn't you they won't be able to do it.

Also, if your contacts with him after break up weren't "psycho like" as in 100 messages a day, threats and all, I don't think the PPO will slide, specially if you stop contacting him and made actual effort to end the communication (blocking and deleting him). Relax and ignore him at all costs unless in the presence of lawyers.

Unfortunately you seem like the prime suspect as far as access and motive. Also he researched it and came up with an approximate IP in your area. Very easy to do. The best thing to do is go to therapy for your depression and someone to talk to.

Delete and block him from ALL your social media and ALL your messaging apps. Do not contact him and change ALL your account passwords. Do not stalk or access his accounts. That is traceable and he can get a cease and desist/PPO. Much better to just get a check up and a therapist to heal and move forward.

He asked me to not contact him after we broke up, but I continued to do it. I was depressed. I didn’t have anyone to talk to about what was going on.

In September I received texts from him accusing me of hacking his Instagram account.

Today I received texts from him accusing me of hacking into his Snapchat account.

He’s claiming that he received an email saying that hacker used a device in the city where I live.

He’s threatening to get a ppo against me and press charges.

if you didn't hack him you have no reason to be worried. he can press charges but he has to have proof of their investigation has to have proof.

thats' really easily fixed. Just lt them have access to your computer and they will see yo have never logged on to his accounts or hacked. Case solved.

time to move on from him though. there is no interest from him to be with you again, so yo need to stop contacting him as that is a form of harrassment. Stop and move on. its' for the better. And it's also better for yoru case of "i didn't hack him."

Archived