Trust or disrespect? Where are the boundaries?

Carllongan

We dated for a couple of months before we realized we loved each other and then I had to move to a different country for 8 months now and I ll be back to live with her in 2 months.

She s doing an internship at a company and she met this intern guy who was kind to her, but the guy finished his internship after the first week she was there, so they only saw each other at work for a week. On his last day, he asked her out for a beer as it was his last day but just the two of them. I thought OK this is a goodbye so no big deal. but the guy lives in the same city and he asked her out again on my gf's birthday and he was going to give her chocolate (!). Apparently they have been texting since then (don't tell me how do u know? you think otherwise?) I told my gf that I m not comfortable as why hang out one-on-one with a guy you just met last week at bars and he knows about your birthday, so she says I was feeling lonely so I said yea we could meet at a bar but you are right I will say I m not feeling well tonight. The question is: given that the guy knows she has a boyfriend, are her and his behaivor disrespectful as I don't think they stop texting and he ll have other occasions coming up next weeks?

When you are exclusive with someone, you should always have a talk about relationship boundaries and make sure you match on them. If you don't, it's best to break up, because that's a major thing you need to be compatible in. If you do agree on the boundaries and a partner breaks the boundary, it'll be up to you to either work on the problem or break up.

Time for a major discussion to clarify if you two are on the same page or not.

She’s behaving like a single person.

Here’s the thing, though... in my opinion, she kind of is a single person. If you were only together 2 months and you’ve been gone 8 months, you’ve been gone 4x longer than you were ever together. Of course she’s lonely. I think she should be more honest with herself about it though...

I think SHE thinks her intentions are pure because she’s being transparent about it. If she was trying to pull one over on you, she wouldn’t be telling you about it. With you being in another country, it would be very easy for her to conceal.

I think that at the end of the day, though, this long distance thing is not really working for her. And I think that’s understandable. I’m not sure it was wise to try to do a long distance thing for so long when you had only been together a short while? It may have been better to simply break up and try to rekindle things when you are back?

In my opinion, I don’t think you have a trust issue because she’s being open about it. But yes... she’s starting to stray.

In your shoes, I think you should break up amicably now and see if you both want to revisit things when you are back. Sometimes letting go before things blow up is the best thing you can do.

To me, if you were only together 2 months before you moved, I would not have expected nor have asked her for any commitment. 8 weeks is NOT long enough for any sort of relationship to soldify. I would have dated her for 8 weeks and then said that you would get in touch when you moved back and if both of you were interested in dating/were single, you could see where it went. That's just my opinion. I would not have agreed to move in with her -- i would have come back, dated her if she was single and saw where things went.

Archived