MaddieM

Hi!

There’s an app that the college I’m going to next year gives to admitted students to go on and meet friends and prospective roommates.

So, I added this guy that I found cute (added on snap). He initiated the “conversation” by sending a streak, and so I replied with a picture. We just went back and forth with pictures, barely any actual conversation for about a week.

Then, yesterday, he left me on open...and he did it again today. I don’t know why I’m so down about that, I barely even know him.

However, I thought he was also into me. I say this because one night I sent a picture (again, all on Snapchat haha) of myself and my brother was in it and he asked if the guy in my picture was my boyfriend, and then I sent a picture of this dumb filter and jokingly said “this really brings out my eyes” and he said “that’s true bc your eyes are pretty af”...so these things kind of led me to think he also thought I was cute.

Maybe it’s just childish to get attached to someone that fast haha, but I neverrrr get down about these types of things (I get attached fast but I get over it quickly) but this is sort of different, I can’t explain it. I wanted to try to get to know him better but I can’t now if he’s just totally ghosting me. Maybe it’s not intentional, but I’m not really sure what to do.

Why not wait until you get on campus and start meeting guys in real life. Also get on real dating apps intended for dating and start messaging guys there. Stop messaging this guy, he's not replying. He didn't "ghost you", you never dated, you never met in person and he doesn't even know you.

Get a handle on this "fast attachment" problem especially to guys you never met, before you descend into obsessions or stalker-land. If someone is not interested, leave them alone and use more appropriate avenues for dating most of all real life in person dates.

Adding "cute" guys you never met to your social media and expecting something is a little bit creepy. That's probably why he "left you on open".

-I added this guy that I found cute (added on snap).

-he left me on open...and he did it again today.

- I wanted to try to get to know him better but I can’t now if he’s just totally ghosting me. Maybe it’s not intentional, but I’m not really sure what to do.

Don't get caught up in compliments. They might be genuine or it might be a guy just playing games.

Unless you actually meet a guy in person and go on a date, don't take it seriously. Anyone online can pretend anything they want, it doesn't mean it's real.

For all you know it could be a scammer pretending to be someone they aren't, it might not even be a guy your age.

You need to be careful and more cautious.

Don't get caught up in compliments. They might be genuine or it might be a guy just playing games.

Unless you actually meet a guy in person and go on a date, don't take it seriously. Anyone online can pretend anything they want, it doesn't mean it's real.

For all you know it could be a scammer pretending to be someone they aren't, it might not even be a guy your age.

You need to be careful and more cautious.

This. Compliments are flattering but at the end of the day, this guy is a stranger to you. You need to keep a more realistic approach when chatting with people online.

I say you just enjoy being a teenaged girl. That includes feeling bummed it’s natural.

Changing who you are and getting on dating apps at 18 ( please don’t do that, you’re going to college the only other colleges ages kids on match.com ain’t gonna be winners and if you’re under 18 you’re jail bait, so not sure why that was advised ) look most of us here are grown a** adults, we are on completely different wavelength than you are. So all the ways of meeting via Instagram and college apps, it wasn’t done when we were your age so we’re all going to give advice based on the perspective of adults. The only reason I know people hook up via all these apps is because I have teenaged cousins, it’s foreign to me too.

Let the feeling pass, recognize you never met him and to be honest he’s probably gonna respond eventually. Enjoy life girl, these are your best years!

Agree about compliments, in this case you actually solicited the compliments by sending flattering pics saying "this one really brings out my eyes."

Like how else was he supposed to respond other than give you a compliment?

You may not think so but to the other person, sending all these flattering pics before meeting sounds a bit self-absorbed, me focused.

Which may have turned him off, who knows; a man sending me pics of himself "bragging" about a particular body part or just bringing it to my attention would turn me off.

Let him discover for himself how beautiful your eyes are or anything else when you meet in person.

Enjoy the fun and spin...it's an awesome ego boost, but not "real" by any stretch of the imagination. Don't turn this into something it's not. You want a real man who takes the real time to be with you. The rest is just candy. You are about to embark on some serious work. You won't need dating apps because you'll be meeting tons of men just for showing up to class. You're going to meet friends and you're going to go to frat parties and bars and tailgate parties. It's going to be a smorgasbord, and what you need to focus on is your studies and responsibilities over boys...they will be plentiful. I'm so excited for your new adventure. Don't fret over these lackadaisical boys. The ones that matter make time and effort.

Archived