Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What does it mean to accept people as they are and still be myself?

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Batya33
    I think you accept people as they are and you then choose whether to interact. If someone is hurting you or disrespecting you you do not have to accept that treatment. That’s about the behavior at that moment not about the person as they are. “I accept that A is late all the time. Therefore I will not lecture him to change and I also choose not to make any time sensitive plans with him because that doesn’t work for me”. That way you are accepting plus being yourself.
    I AGREE.
    If how someone treats you is at play then you don't accept that.
    If you have a relative where you do not agree with them on their lifestyle but they love you and they are perfectly decent towards you -- then you love them and just leave to each his own.

The line is drawn when these differences directly negatively impact on the person. Acceptance includes trying not to change the other person and respecting their right to be different by not pushing your values.

In your example, the hunting family is wrong since they're forcing their values and activities down the throats of the pacifist family.

I think it's awesome you are even asking this question! It shows a level of sensitivity and awareness that is wonderful to see.
    These are the kinds of conversations that help make the world better. Imagine if everyone was open to this kind of dialogue - we'd all be so much better off.

Acceptance is not the same thing as adoption. You can accept that people have differences and you can be respectful about that while in their presence--without a need to accept any invitations to adopt behaviors you don't agree with.

I agree that you can accept people for who they are but that you shouldn't take part in their hobbies if you don't want to. You should stick to the activities that you both enjoy. If you like to solve jigsaw puzzles and they don't, you wouldn't invite them over to do jigsaw puzzles all afternoon. It is just not courteous.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Give Advice
Ask For Advice