In a relationship with an exchange student. Broken that he will leave?

Merissa

I've been in a relationship with this guy for 3 months. He's the best thing that happened to me recently and now I realize I never liked anyone as much as I like him. He is everything I wanted for SO long.

At first I was sceptical of starting something with someone that's just gonna have to leave eventually but I couldn't resist. I also have to mention he is my first real boyfriend (we're both 20) and I lost my virginity to him. Everything is great for now.

However, I can't stop thinking that he'll go back to his country in a few months and I'll never see him again. Feels like I'm just waiting for a breakup, I already know when it's going to happen and it's like we're just making effort for nothing.

I've been crying over it more and more often lately cause it's getting closer. I'm broken.

So he is your 1st bf.

You've never liked anybody as much as him.

You lost your virginity to him.

But you knew from the beginning he was only here temporarily and was leaving.

Have you 2 talked about what happens when his time is up and he goes home? I would do that and see what he's thinking. Maybe he wants to continue to see you even after he leaves and you can visit each other?

The first loves are the hardest and we get real deeply involved emotionally our first experience. All I can say is - we all go thru this and hopefully this doesn't end when he leaves. But if it does, we always realize when our 2nd relationship comes around that the 1st relationship was never the be all end all relationship.

This is all a learning curve and an evolutionary process that helps you prepare for when your true one and only comes along down the road (they only come when we're ready and can handle it... none of us can handle it the 1st time around).

Hang in there. I know it's hard. I promise the world isn't over. I promise there will be others. I promise the others down the road will be much better.

I promise.

Archived