Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can't stand my school, want to transfer badly but should I now or wait?

Originally Posted by CareerHelp
    Usually during office hours. Only email outside of office hours if I was busy earlier in the day and couldn't get to them. I think it's just the online schooling may not be for me. I did online high school too and I experienced similar issues but not as bad cause the teachers would be quick in responses, almost like instant messaging. But online school is more for someone who can work well by themselves and not require one-on-one. There are times were I need one-on-one which is why I am wanting to transfer to campus.
    Another reason to target a smaller school or small structured program of study. Also, when you get to campus, find a reason to stop by your teachers' offices once a week. It helps in several ways - it forces you to think of a topic to discuss, it keeps you engaged, and both those things make it easier for the teacher to be ore supportive of you.

You need to consider two things. What are you studying and how well that college or university is ranked on that program. I don't mean that that school claims to be prestigious, but how are they actually ranked by outside agencies on that particular program? When you are graduating and looking for a job, where you got your degree from will matter a lot. Graduating from a top ranked university in that field makes a big difference not only in your ability to get work, but in your paycheck. It matters because that will set up the rest of your career and I can't emphasize that enough.

Second thing to consider is out of the top schools for your particular area of study, which suits your needs best? In other words, where will you be most successful personally. If you need one on one attention, then definitely don't go to a university where you'll be student #45,059. Aim for a smaller school where you will be able to get the attention that you need to succeed.

Again, don't just read what the school claims, check independent rankings, check what other resources say. Finally when you have your top 3 narrowed down, go visit in person and spend a few days there. Go sit in on lecture, meet the admin staff and professors. See what the atmosphere is like and what the student body is like.

Finally, as tempting as it may be to want to go where your bf is, do not base your major life decisions on a relationship, especially not a college one. Hate to say this, but relationships come and go, your degree is for life and you want to be sure it's actually worth something.

Agree. Check out this report and do your own research on colleges: [Register to see the link]
    Originally Posted by DancingFool
    Again, don't just read what the school claims, check independent rankings, check what other resources say.

Originally Posted by DancingFool
    You need to consider two things. What are you studying and how well that college or university is ranked on that program. I don't mean that that school claims to be prestigious, but how are they actually ranked by outside agencies on that particular program? When you are graduating and looking for a job, where you got your degree from will matter a lot. Graduating from a top ranked university in that field makes a big difference not only in your ability to get work, but in your paycheck. It matters because that will set up the rest of your career and I can't emphasize that enough.

Second thing to consider is out of the top schools for your particular area of study, which suits your needs best? In other words, where will you be most successful personally. If you need one on one attention, then definitely don't go to a university where you'll be student #45,059. Aim for a smaller school where you will be able to get the attention that you need to succeed.

Again, don't just read what the school claims, check independent rankings, check what other resources say. Finally when you have your top 3 narrowed down, go visit in person and spend a few days there. Go sit in on lecture, meet the admin staff and professors. See what the atmosphere is like and what the student body is like.

Finally, as tempting as it may be to want to go where your bf is, do not base your major life decisions on a relationship, especially not a college one. Hate to say this, but relationships come and go, your degree is for life and you want to be sure it's actually worth something.
    I'm definitely gonna go to a smaller school. Nothing beats the one-on-one support recieved in those type of environments! Plus the close interaction with peers means more parties. The good part is I was able to get my professor to change the grade and give me credit for my assignment. So now I have an A again! As for going to school near my boyfriend, that isn't the only reason why I wanna go to Florida. I just love Florida as the state and I wanna get outta this cold weather here in NJ. The one school I have eyes on is so close to the beach which will be an amazing stress relief for when I get overwhelmed! Being close to my bf would just be a bonus. I thought of going to school in Las Vegas at UNLV since I've always wanted to live there but I've been hearing a lot of bad stuff about that school so it is a no-go for me. Sticking with USFSP as my target school but Eckerd College and University of Tampa will be my safeties.

Originally Posted by CareerHelp
    I'm definitely gonna go to a smaller school. Nothing beats the one-on-one support recieved in those type of environments! Plus the close interaction with peers means more parties. The good part is I was able to get my professor to change the grade and give me credit for my assignment. So now I have an A again! As for going to school near my boyfriend, that isn't the only reason why I wanna go to Florida. I just love Florida as the state and I wanna get outta this cold weather here in NJ. The one school I have eyes on is so close to the beach which will be an amazing stress relief for when I get overwhelmed! Being close to my bf would just be a bonus. I thought of going to school in Las Vegas at UNLV since I've always wanted to live there but I've been hearing a lot of bad stuff about that school so it is a no-go for me. Sticking with USFSP as my target school but Eckerd College and University of Tampa will be my safeties.
    I just googled usfsp; it has a 32% graduation rate for full time students within 6 years. You may want to look into it further: students may be somewhat transient and you might not get that sense of community you seek.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Give Advice
Ask For Advice