LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice

Thread: New job where ex is

New job where ex is

Hello everyone!

I broke up with my ex about two years ago. Time has passed and he is seeing someone new. Our breakup wasnít the most pleasant (when are they ever pleasant really), and we have chosen not to remain friends.

I recently have embarked in some new career choices as a yoga teacher and personal trainer. To my luck, I had a few interviews for a personal training position, and currently the opportunity that seems to be working out involves working at the gym my ex currently goes to with his new partner.

That brings me to my question, I am over stepping boundaries by accepting the position? It has been two years and he has moved forward. A part of me over thinks things, and I donít want either of them to feel uncomfortable that I am there. But I also believe I should not turn a job opportunity down over this? What are your thoughts? Should I move forward with the position, or turn it down and keep looking elsewhere?

New job where ex is

Absolutely not. Be professional and donít go out of your way to see him. Your career comes first.

Absolutely not meaning - absolutely not overstepping bounds.

DO go for the job.

Definitely go for the job if you truly want it; don't let your ex control what you do with your life. But if or when you get the job, keep your distance from him. Be professional if you have to have any professional relationships with him and if he requires your professional service, try to arrange for someone else to provide him services.

It's been two years! So what if goes to that gym? You dont have to talk to him if you dont want to, your career should come first.

Platinum Member
    Do you think it's bothering you because you two spoke on the phone a couple of months ago and then he (and his girlfriend) blocked you?

Maybe those events stirred up old feelings.

No, not the case. If anything it might have at that time but I have move forward. It might be bother me though that he still has a anger towards me? So Iím worried how it will be when working so close to him. I just want peace

Ok, don't worry about him or his gf or 'boundaries'. Do what is best for you and if you think this would be an issue, continue interviewing. Once you take a position, it's too late to decide if you're uncomfortable in it for personal reasons. Make sure you are ok with it before accepting.
    Originally Posted by Jtbelieve
    Iím worried how it will be when working so close to him. I just want peace

Give Advice
Ask For Advice