A customer gave me money as a gift - not sure how I feel

I work as a barista in a small coffee shop. I enjoy what I do, know most of my customers and they all tip very well. One of my regular male customers came in today and handed me an envelope with 100 dollars in it and insisted I keep it as a gift. I was hesitant at first. He told me that he had come into some money and wanted to do a nice gesture as I am always kind to him. He mentioned how he believes in karma and is doing this gesture expecting nothing in return. I was very reluctant, but I did end up accepting.

I can't help but feel weird about accepting it for some reason. I have gotten good tips from customers in the past, 10, 20 dollars at most. I guess I feel odd about it, because he told me I was beautiful in the past, not in a creepy way, just casual I guess. I know I probably shouldn't have accepting it since I am having these doubts, it is just very hard to tell if he is being genuine.

Am I overthinking the situation?

I vote keep it. I sincerely hope to be able to do things like this in the future for people who have left an impression on me due to their kindness, or going above and beyond, etc. He wanted to do something nice for you because he appreciates your part in his life, no matter how small it may be. Most people put a pretty high value on money, so that's the route he chose.

Accept the compliment and then pass on the love to the next person who makes a great impression for you!!

In the town I live in, all the moms ever talk about is how much to give to teachers, assistants, garbage men, post office, their nail and hair salon person, camp counselors, camp leaders, on and on, and on. Keep it, and enjoy it, and one day, pay it forward. Not now of course. Put it to good use. Moms here don't even bat an eyelash at $100 for a xmas gift

As long as there aren't any strings attached to it [which from what you tell us doesn't seem to be the case], I'd be gracious and keep it. Like you, I've been initially hesitant at times. But what experience has taught me, some people are genuinely simply very generous and thankful! I'm very grateful that such people exists.

You're a blessing in that customer's life, isn't that nice!

Most barista-type jobs I know pool tips. So I'd 'splain to the guy that this isn't something I can keep all to myself, but if he's willing, he can consider this a gift to my whole team. That gives him the option to pull it back or not, but if he's still in, I'd thank him and call the team together so they can see who he is and thank him in person.

Archived