I work at a horrible place

Lovelavie

I've been at a company for 7 months now, and it's by far the worse place I've worked at. Starting that the owner of the company is a millionaire who is rude to all of his employees, he yells at us, curses and calls people names. He's made us work on Saturdays and holidays when there was no need, just to show who's the boss... literally. The place is horrible, there are no windows, in the summer it's hot as hell, no circulation, no toilet paper sometimes (they give a roll to each person once a week, and if it's done, it's done, you have to bring one from your home if you wish to wipe yourself), there are ants all over our room, all over my table, people are ridiculously rude to everyone. Seriously... I have no idea how I got into this hell hole.

As time went by, they started taking away all my tasks. I used to handle the social media, photos editing, talking to clients, fashion research etc. Now all I do is register prodcuts on the site... something I used to do when I got my first job, 3 years ago. The owner here has called me useless and I've left work crying, which never happened before in any other job I've had. Then, if things couldn't get worse, my boss (who is not the owner) turned her back on me and started having secret meetings with my co-worker, leaving me out of all the news and making it look like I don't want to work. I sit here most of the day doing nothing, when I try to, they take it away from me. Like I'll grab a paper with a problem from a customer, and when I go to the bathroom, it will be gone because someone took it away from my table, so they can finish it and leave me doing nothing. Sometimes everyone is piled up with things to do and I'm left with nothing. I know they want me to quit, but it is so unethical to do that to someone.

I am looking for another job, I have an interview today even, and I'm determined to leave this place, however, I know that I'll have to stay at least a month here, and each day is horrible. I've become an angry person, who snaps at everyone, I get home and I cry sometimes, I feel stressed out, I've lost my glow. The only things I look forwards are my weekends because staying each hour here drives me insane. How can I cope with this until I find another job? I feel desperate because I don't want to quit without finding some where else, but I'm on the verge of freaking out.

Ugh that sounds terrible!

Give yourself a firm deadline to get out of there, job or no job. That will give you some light at the end of the tunnel. And put all of your energy and focus into finding another job so you can get out of there sooner rather than later. Considering they have taken all of your tasks away that should give you plenty of time to focus on job hunting! :p

I am so sorry you are going through this. However I don't think the amount of $ you believe your boss has -whether millionaire or billionaire is relevant in this case at all - people with no money are generous, people with lots of money are thoughtless/treat people badly and everything in between. It sounds like a terrible work environment and I hope you find something else soon.

Yeah.. we've all been there. And this is a tough choice, but you have to make it.

1. Sometimes it's so bad and you become such a horrible version of yourself - that sometimes it's better to quit and get out of there so you can return to your normal self and then look for a job. why? because a negative, disgruntled, "desperate to find another job" can be obvious sometimes during an interview and come out in your answers that it actually HURTS your chances of winning a new job. Also, sometimes we make our worst mistakes making a "desperate" decision just to get out - then take another bad situation we wouldn't normally.

2. Most people would say "get a new job first" but sometimes that's hard to do in a bad job situation (taking time off for interviews, etc. can be difficult or make things worse at work).

3. The last approach is to just not let your current job get to you - becaus you know your'e about to leave. So you can use your current job to help you brush up on whatever you need to and use it to ohelp you get your newest job if possible. Maybe there is somethign you can do or volunteer for that boosts your resume for your next job or interviewing. So approach 3 is to take advantage of your lousy current job and let it help you get the new job.

It's a tough choice. I've chosen all 3 at different times in my life and situations and it's worked out fine. So take it easy for a bit and really think to yourself which you think would help you the most to get the best new job situation as you can and hang in there. I was at my last job 2.5 yrs and about 1/2 the time i was there i knew there was better and that i was on a dead-end. It took a while and a lot of frustrations and unsuccessful job search attempts.. but the patience and faith in what i was doing and why and making the most of my current situation truly helped me find a great fit and situation int he end (my new job). Of which I have a few options now that appeal to me that could be VERY GOOD permanent situations for me until i retire.

So trust that it's all happening fro a reason and do your best to figure out what that reason is and take full advantage of it to help you transition into a good new situation.

Good luck!

Thank you for all the advices, I will definetly think of them. Sometimes I feel awful with myself thinking if I deserve this. I see all my friends working at jobs that at least have some dignity, and I'm stuck here thinking this is the best I can do, maybe I'm not good enough. It's hard not to fall into this, I know I deserve better, to be worse than this place only being something related to slavery where you have to sleep at the factory and such, but besides that... the technological equipments are always old, we can't have a printer because our boss simply won't buy one, when we have to print things every single day, so we have to go to another room. The computers are slow, making our work take longer to get done and also makes us impatient.

Seriously, I could go on and on about this... I also don't understand why they just don't fire me, I do nothing all day, what's the point of keeping me here? I know they want me to quit so they won't have to pay for the things, but still.. this is so unethical.

I keep thinking about all the places I could work at and I'm wasting time here. I hope I get another job soon, anywhere is better than this hell hole.

Lovelavie,

yeah.. don't doubt yourslf. always have faith in yourself. and always be a PROFESSIONAL and do whatever you must to make yourself more marketable. its a process. it will work. if you do good work and are pleasant to be around (just be a good person all around and do the right thing) - it WILL pay off. i promise.

i was in your shoes not too long ago and now i'm making what i alwasy dreamed of making, and in a position i always wanted to be, and it allowed me buy my dream car in life which is awesome to know i am in that position and enjoy the car (i have commute 4 hrs per day...).

keep to the grind and trust that the payoff is coming.. because it is as long as you keep grinding.

good luck on your decision.

I am so sorry for the terrible situation. I've had a couple of bad work places, but not quite like this. Do the best you can, and if work disappears, try not to worry so much about it. In the meantime, keep looking for a way out. Perhaps go ahead and give notice, which will give you something to look forward to, then concentrate on finding a job. Prayers for peace and a better workplace.

Archived