LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lied on resume, worried about consequences

Lied on resume, worried about consequences

After getting a job offer from a company for a position as a software engineer the company did an investigation. Which, I am guessing is taking close to 2 weeks. I've never been in a position where such an extensive investigation has been done before and to be honest it has been stressing me a lot.

On of the jobs I said I worked for a school to build a website for them. It was actually my step father who worked for the school and the site was a small project for an after school robotics club. I don't think he was prepared, the company called him as I listed him as one of the references and he admitted he was my step father and then the company called the school itself to see if I was ever on their payroll.

I think i received a call from an anonymous number about 40 minutes after the incident but was unsure if it was the hr person trying to contact me or not since I was sleeping and did not answer my phone. The question is this, does this mean the company will rescind the offer due to that discrepancy. And what do I do from here.

I am not sure if the call was from the hr department or not and I have not been emailed by them to let me know that they are withdrawing the offer, nor have they left a message on my voice mail. So really I feel in the dark and confused about the entire situation.

On every other front I think I am good thou.

Should I either

A. contact hr to see whats up?
    B. Play dumb and wait till Monday when I am suppose to start.

Also, what is the normal policy in these sort of situations?

B. If they think it's an issue they'll contact you.

Thanks for the quick response. This entire affair has been extremely stressful for me and I appreciate the assurance.

Is that the only discrepancy in your CV or did you enhance other things?

Why did you lie?

Verifying employment is VERY common.

And I know youre stressed but you should be. If I was a hiring manager and saw you lied, Id rescind the offer immediately. Trust is paramount to me and breaching that early on is unforgivable.

Gold Member
    Why did you lie on your resume? Places always do employment verification. Not necessarily what you did there but they do ask if you worked there, and sometimes ask the dates.

Platinum Member
    IT positions usually require an extreme amount of confidentiality due to the sensitive nature of the information you would have access to. This is why the reference check is so extensive.

They may have found out you lied. If they did, the offer could be rescinded.

Fix your resume for the next time.

Obviously never good to fib, but whether it's worth it to rescind the offer and hope any of their follow-up picks can pan out probably depends on how badly you misrepresented the experience, how urgent their needs are, and if they feel they can trust the rest of your credentials without having to investigate each one in-depth. For instance, "working with" and "working at" a university would be two very different things, as well it would be a different consideration if you made any insinuation the website you helped design was a larger project than one for an after-school robotics club.

At the end of the day, Wiseman's piece is the simplest and most factual. You'll hear of it if it's deemed an issue. But even if you don't, I'd make sure to bust my ass and demonstrate my value out-the-gate in case they end up silently scrutinizing you a bit more for it.

Depending on the company it can take a long time to check references and validate the work you have done. When I interview people I always ask them about the projects they put on their resumes... pretty much everyone I interview has "enhanced" their resume in some shape or form it would seem... as soon as we start to question them about their projects, a lot of times we find out it was a school project or something they did for their family or what have you.

Did they ask you about this project during the interview?

Wait and let them tell you if they have a problem or rescind the offer.

It really depends on the company, what specific skill set they are looking for and what other candidates they have to choose from, their hiring timeline, personal view on whether they consider bolstering what you did as a big deal or not so much given other items and experience checking out.

Overall, don't do it again, because it can cost you a great position. I'm surprised that you didn't expect them to check. Most companies actually do.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice