LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Lied on resume, worried about consequences

Originally Posted by Delacrank
    This sort of slippery slope thinking leads me to believe that its makes more sense to be paranoid and not take any chances.
    There's a lot of real estate on a scale of 1 to 10 between taking reasonable risks versus lying to potential employers. If you want to avoid paranoia, then stay honest, because there's nothing more anxiety-inducing than going to a job everyday knowing that the HR people who may take time, but may also be very thorough, could be documenting your lie at any moment.

When I was hired after consulting with a major trading firm for a year, it took their compliance people 6 months after my hire to contact me for clarification about a certificate I'd earned years ago for which there was no longer a record after the school privatized.

You can get angry with us for being frank with you, but if you didn't want to hear realistic answers then why did you ask? By faulting us, you're projecting your own conflict instead of recognizing that the problem is NOT in the answers you've received, it's in your attempts to rationalize dishonesty.

Platinum Member
    When I was hired after consulting with a major trading firm for a year, it took their compliance people 6 months after my hire to contact me for clarification about a certificate I'd earned years ago for which there was no longer a record after the school privatized.

Wow -what a story! I had no idea that after hiring there is still that kind of checking - but I guess your certificate was part of your particular job qualification (i.e. they're not going to still check dates of employment I would think at prior jobs but what do I know).

Originally Posted by Batya33

Wow -what a story! I had no idea that after hiring there is still that kind of checking - but I guess your certificate was part of your particular job qualification (i.e. they're not going to still check dates of employment I would think at prior jobs but what do I know).
    Not everything happens in the order we'd predict from the outside. Research can get backed up. This doesn't prevent them from extending offers for positions they need to fill. They can rescind an offer or end employment at any time should something in an applicants file not check out. It even says so in the employment agreements we sign at hire.

Those big fat documents aren't fluff. They contain plenty of protections for employers, and the research they do is designed to protect them as well--and it takes time.

Platinum Member
    I've let go people after turning up info they lied about. Employment verification and background checks take weeks to process. Not trying to be a jerk, lying is a serious issue we do not take likely.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by catfeeder
    Not everything happens in the order we'd predict from the outside. Research can get backed up. This doesn't prevent them from extending offers for positions they need to fill. They can rescind an offer or end employment at any time should something in an applicants file not check out. It even says so in the employment agreements we sign at hire.

Those big fat documents aren't fluff. They contain plenty of protections for employers, and the research they do is designed to protect them as well--and it takes time.
    Yes- I may have signed something like that (although that doesn't sound like anything I ever had to sign) but since i never had anything to hide it was of no concern to me.

Originally Posted by Batya33
    Yes- I may have signed something like that (although that doesn't sound like anything I ever had to sign) but since i never had anything to hide it was of no concern to me.
    I believe that if your employment agreement is "at will," either you or your employer can terminate ant any time, for any reason (as long as it's not expressly illegal, like discrimination).

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Jibralta
    I believe that if your employment agreement is "at will," either you or your employer can terminate ant any time, for any reason (as long as it's not expressly illegal, like discrimination).
    Oh of course it's at will and I am also not familiar with signing agreements -it's at will -you are hired after you accept the offer.. I was talking about the specific words she was referring to.

I'm just saying that even the briefest of employment agreements cover such things.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Jibralta
    I'm just saying that even the briefest of employment agreements cover such things.
    Could be. I don't know, my jobs often involved no agreements.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Give Advice
Ask For Advice