Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lied on resume, worried about consequences

A lot of people lie on resumes and either the company doesn't have enough evidence to fire them or they just never find out. Don't feel bad about this! Your best bet is to not say anything until they come to you. If you call the HR person then that will likely raise a red flag. Just play dumb and keep those lips zipped. Lying on a resume nowadays is so much more riskier than it was years ago. Years ago, they didn't really have the need to check into every reference or do background checks as much. But times have changed and now companies are much more rigorous in their screening. If anything, it is good that they catch this BEFORE you start working there rather than like 10 years on down the line and you'd end up being out of a big position that you wouldn't be able to put on your resume Worst case scenario, they find out you lied and the offer is retracted. Best case scenario is they were just bluffing to try and get you to fess up but cannot prove that you lied. All you can do is hope for the best! Good luck :)

Platinum Member
    If you don't have a long employment history, employers understand a college student or someone just outside of college won't have a long resume. I remember putting a few volunteer positions where i had authority or responsibility on my resume. As long as it was a longer term volunteer situation, i had a reference and explained it as such -- it helped my resume. But making stuff up does not. that is why internships, being involved in student organizations and also local nonprofits can be valuable.

The problem with submitting ANYthing on your resume or application that can't be verified is that it's not just the initial investigation you'll need to fear. If they discover the lie at any time during your employment, they can not only fire you, but if you've been exposed to confidential information, they could prosecute.

It may not be worth accepting the job.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by catfeeder
    The problem with submitting ANYthing on your resume or application that can't be verified is that it's not just the initial investigation you'll need to fear. If they discover the lie at any time during your employment, they can not only fire you, but if you've been exposed to confidential information, they could prosecute.

exactly this. It will come back to you at some point.

Originally Posted by catfeeder

Sometimes I wonder why people even post on these forums when I get responses like this. More then likely this is a minor detail which will be overlooked, yet people will go so far as to say to not to accept the job? Why because if I am exposed to confidential information they could prosecute on the basis of what, that I am more likely to leak information because I lied on my resume.

This sort of slippery slope thinking leads me to believe that its makes more sense to be paranoid and not take any chances. I will keep this thread updated with the response on Monday to Justify any of these claims to see how rational they have been. So all these people who keep saying, the offer will get rescinded, you will be fired, etc. etc.

Yet, I doubt anyone of these people has ever applied for engineering jobs and knows how competitive it has been, or how many years I have been studying or how many applications I have sent out. That's cool.

Originally Posted by Delacrank
    Sometimes I wonder why people even post on these forums when I get responses like this. More then likely this is a minor detail which will be overlooked, yet people will go so far as to say to not to accept the job? Why because if I am exposed to confidential information they could prosecute on the basis of what, that I am more likely to leak information because I lied on my resume.

This sort of slippery slope thinking leads me to believe that its makes more sense to be paranoid and not take any chances. I will keep this thread updated with the response on Monday to Justify any of these claims to see how rational they have been. So all these people who keep saying, the offer will get rescinded, you will be fired, etc. etc.

Yet, I doubt anyone of these people has ever applied for engineering jobs and knows how competitive it has been, or how many years I have been studying or how many applications I have sent out. That's cool.
    OP, no need to be so rude/disrespectful to members who are trying to help and give advice - after all, YOU did ask for advice/opinions and that's what you got. It was YOU who lied. What kind of response did you hope to get? Did you hope for "Ohh, no problem! It's all good, no need to panic, lying on a resume is normal". ? If you don't want responses that don't suit you, then you shouldn't ask for advice. People ARE trying to help.

Platinum Member

Even if you get the job it still doesn't justify the lie and simply means that either they missed it or this particular employer doesn't care and weighed risks/benefits. Nothing to be paranoid about because the reality is that it's a small world and people talk - so it's not paranoia it's reality. It doesn't matter how competitive it is or how long it took you - same situation here in my job area/field many times over for many many people -still doesn't justify lying to get a job - that's your slippery slope -so should the furloughed employees steal food at some point or lie to get new jobs? Walk a mile in the shoes of the person in your field who will be honest about their backgrounds and be passed over for a job they are qualified for because someone else lies and appears to have more experience. Do you think that feels fair to that person?

I'm not so sure you want to justify "I lied to get an engineering job because it's so competitive and I've been looking for so long". Do you really want to be that person?

Originally Posted by Capricorn3
    OP, no need to be so rude/disrespectful to members who are trying to help and give advice - after all, YOU did ask for advice/opinions and that's what you got. It was YOU who lied. What kind of response did you hope to get? Did you hope for "Ohh, no problem! It's all good, no need to panic, lying on a resume is normal". ? If you don't want responses that don't suit you, then you shouldn't ask for advice. People ARE trying to help.
    I was just looking for peace of mind. They sent me an acceptance letter today. I guess that was too much to ask for. Can you close this thread now. Iím trying to figure out if itís me
    Whose being toxic for responding in an honest way or if itís just other people who are literally just trying to help me.

Telling me negative things when I am already in a negative state of mind doesnít seem like help to me. . .

I was just looking for peace of mind. They sent me an acceptance letter today. I guess that was too much to ask for. Can you close this thread now. Iím trying to figure out if itís me
    Whose being toxic for responding in an honest way or if itís just other people who are literally just trying to help me.

Telling me negative things when I am already in a negative state of mind doesnít seem like help to me. . .
    Itís not negative to tell you the truth. You lied and there are consequences.

Platinum Member

Congrats on the job offer! I didn't get from your initial post that you wanted reassurance that it was ok to lie on your resume and that your stepfather should have known to lie on your behalf and that his not knowing that was unfortunate. I did get that you were worried about the potential repercussions. That is why I suggested that. Your reactions after that showed me that your values justified your lie -which is far different from "I know I made a bad choice and won't do it again but now I am really worried".

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice