LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lied on resume, worried about consequences

Platinum Member
    When I find out an applicant has lied after we do their backgrund and reference checks, we let them go or take back the offer. Next time, just be honest. It's okay to fake confidence. It's not okay to take credit for other people's work. People will find out.

I also judge people base on what they put on social media. If you have a bunch of drunk photos of yourself or half-naked photos, I don't hire as well.

Just to be clear, this was already after several interviews a phone and on site. So no questions were asked about the actual work itself just technical questions during both the screening and the on site.

No other areas were misrepresented as someone commented before. I thought it was a very minor thing, most everyone listed on the references and past employees were contacted.

It really wouldnít have made a difference if I just left that experience out in general. As one commented before it is a common practice to enchance, yet candidates wouldnít feel the need to do this in the first place if companies werenít so picky in the first place.

I realize now itís not about the actual work itself but more of the character of a type of person who performs these sort of actions.

Platinum Member
    I would have been honest upfront "i built a website for the school's after school club". If they asked more about it, you could say a relative ran the club. If they are looking for examples of the quality of your work, it doesn't matter who the website was for if they can see it and are impressed with it. I would have put it in the section where you put affiliations, volunteer or side proects.

Originally Posted by Delacrank
    As one commented before it is a common practice to enhance, yet candidates wouldnít feel the need to do this in the first place if companies werenít so picky in the first place.
    Companies people want to work for, with roles that have a lot of competition, can afford to be picky.

Most of the interviews I do are with students or recent grads and they tell me that the things they put on their resumes are suggestions given to them by career counselors at school... for whatever reason the career counselors don't tell them that they will be questioned on these skills and projects to determine whether they are truly "experts" in a particular area.

We expect enhancement to a certain degree however an outright lie that was maintained during the interview and found out when researching references is a different story.

It doesn't sound like that was the case in your situation so I wouldn't worry too much about it... however if this does fall apart for whatever reason you have learned an important lesson here from the sounds of it.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Delacrank
    Just to be clear, this was already after several interviews a phone and on site. So no questions were asked about the actual work itself just technical questions during both the screening and the on site.

No other areas were misrepresented as someone commented before. I thought it was a very minor thing, most everyone listed on the references and past employees were contacted.

It really wouldnít have made a difference if I just left that experience out in general. As one commented before it is a common practice to enchance, yet candidates wouldnít feel the need to do this in the first place if companies werenít so picky in the first place.

I realize now itís not about the actual work itself but more of the character of a type of person who performs these sort of actions.
    Please don't blame employers for your decision to be deceitful. Many people are looking for jobs and it's not fair to the people who are honest -and then are not qualified -if that's your attitude then don't work for a company -work for yourself and then you don't need more than a website where you put all your accomplishments on it to attract customers/clients. I've interviewed many places, jumped through many hoops and spent lots of time making sure I didn't lie. Enhance - fine -as long as it's still honest -and even then there's a strict line. Of course your resume has to represent the best of you, as does your interview, of course you're not going to say your "weakness" is that you steal your coworker's sandwiches from the fridge if you don't like your lunch - but you know the line, you know you crossed it and I'm glad your stepfather was honest. Companies are entitled to be picky in particular because it takes so long to interview and go through resumes and find the right person for the job and because they are there to make a profit and hire people who want to contribute to the bottom line.

I wasn't going to respond until you tried to blame "employers" for your choices.

Nothing on my resume is embellished. Just because itís ďcommonĒ - and I hope itís not - doesnít mean you should do it. Youíre in the wrong here. Agreed with Bat - donít blame the employer for your screwup.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by mustlovedogs
    Nothing on my resume is embellished. Just because itís ďcommonĒ - and I hope itís not - doesnít mean you should do it. Youíre in the wrong here. Agreed with Bat - donít blame the employer for your screwup.
    I want to clarify -I don't "embellish" either - but yes I put my best foot forward so if that is embellishing so be it. I highlight my best work/accomplishments, which I would recommend everyone does, and if the job requires something I have less experience in than other areas I am honest about that and also give examples of how I have a quick learning curve etc. Partly is because of values and on a practical level I am just not comfortable being hired for a position where I am concerned I won't be able to do the work. It's just not my thing.

Originally Posted by Batya33
    I want to clarify -I don't "embellish" either - but yes I put my best foot forward so if that is embellishing so be it. I highlight my best work/accomplishments, which I would recommend everyone does, and if the job requires something I have less experience in than other areas I am honest about that and also give examples of how I have a quick learning curve etc. Partly is because of values and on a practical level I am just not comfortable being hired for a position where I am concerned I won't be able to do the work. It's just not my thing.
    Oh agreed. I wasnít responding to you. OP made some statement that itís common/everyone does it/something like that

If you already know they had a convo with your step father and your step father told them, "no, he didnt work for the school" or any "no.. acutally that is inaccurate" about anything you told them....
    they could very likely rescind the offer based on that.

companies don't like liars or peopel that mis-represent the truth. Because they can only assume you will do so again at an IMPORTANT time fore the company and make the company look bad, cause the company embarrassment, etc.

Yeah.. you coudl lose the job.
    Yead.. I'd wait unilt they tell you so.

Doesn't look good.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by mustlovedogs
    All of this.

I have never embellished on a resume either.

Lesson learned, OP, even if they didn't wind up checking out this particular reference - it's causing you enough stress so I imagine you won't make the same poor choice in the future.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice