Burn out from current job

I recently posted about looking to relocate for my next job and have started some initial trips to visit the areas. And it has really gotten me excited in a way I haven't been in some time.

I am certain that this is the next logical step or me both personally and professionally.

However, I am noticing that I am suffering burn out from my current job/company. I work in marketing (specifically automation and operations side of marketing) and have been at this company for a little less than 2 years. My job in the past 8-10 months has gotten stale and haven't felt the same progression and growth as I did when I first started. For the first time in my career I have noticed I have been less motivated and in some ways doing a little above the minimum to at least keep my job and paycheck. It's a weird feeling for me because I have always taken great pride in my work and in the company I work for. But due to a high level of micromanagement, start-stop approaches to projects and losing some really good teammates I feel disinterested and stressed about still being here.

When I have started searching for jobs out of state another thought has crept in my mind. Do I still want to be in Marketing? I feel burnt out from the tasks at hand and unsure if a job change would ultimately cure the burnout feel. I was offered a role at a different company in my current state but declined it when I realized I only wanted to take it because I hated my current job.

Is this normal for someone in their 30s should be dealing with? My idea is still taking a similar marketing role when I relocate but in my free time start to research and learn about other careers I could pursue. I would also start training or schooling needed once I get there. Does this seem like a good route to go? Curious if others have dealt with this in the past and have any insight? Thanks!

I am in the same situation. I am a Nurse, a profession I chose when I entered college at 17 years old (too young to make a decision like that). I now have a plethora of very different experiences, and the Healthcare industry is not for me. I tried Travel Nursing, thinking the change in location would help, and it got me through two more years in this field. But I still know in my heart that this is not what I’m meant to do long term. For the record, I’m 28. Within the last year, I’ve gained enormous amounts of clarity regarding who I am, who I want to be, and what kind of live I want to live. I would say this is probably normal for this age group??

As far as advice, I really can’t say much, as I’m still trying to find my own way out. I know I need a “side hustle” first, to give me the freedom to explore opportunities without my time being monopolized. I will at least recommend that you don’t do any further studies until you have real-world, application type experience in the field, whether that mean volunteering, shadowing, etc. The last thing you want to be is 10 years and $40k deep into a degree/field that does not lead you to the job you love. Trust me.

My idea is still taking a similar marketing role when I relocate but in my free time start to research and learn about other careers I could pursue.

This makes good sense. Plus, you could end up exposed to different aspects of marketing mixed into a role you've landed because of experience with more familiar tasks. This is common, and could either light your fire again, or otherwise contribute to your value in a new career.

There's nothing wasteful about anything you learn in marketing. It's a valuable toolbox that you'll use in almost any career going forward--even if it's internal to a new organization that sells them on new ideas that you could market to other departments to spread or recover costs.

Head high, I think most people hit a burnout wall at some point, and you're being smart about changing what you can while still capitalizing on the value you've built over time.

very normal yes. They say most people have 1 major career change in their lifetimes and the 30's is like the prime time slot that this can happen. Just curious, if your job environment were different and more to your liking, maybe a tweak to your job description - could you see yourself motivated and happy at Marketing? There are many ways you can go with this and I'll describe 2 approaches here you can consider:

Approach 1 Is it the job, or the location that is getting you down? Definitely figure this out and then apply for a job accordingly - either in a location you think would re-inspire you, or a job description/situation locally that would re-inspire you. This will help answer a lot of questions as to if it's your current job, your current locale, or marketing you're getting tired of. Adjust accordingly.

Approach 2 (i saw this in a business/career magazine). You're going to take 1 piece of paper and make 2 lists. List 1 is all the things that bring you joy and make you smile guaranteed. It can be anything - work related or not. List #2 is all the things that make you stressed or not so joyous. That's the easy part. The hard part is to then focus on each list and find out what the COMMON TRAITS or trends are of all the "joyous" list activities are. Is it being affluent and wealthy? Travel? Family? Teaching? Presenatation? Next find the common traits of all your "stressors". Is it financial? is it time stress management? Is it being stuck inside all day? Minimal freedom/creativity?

Once you have found your obvious pattersn of "joy" and "stress" - you are then going to thnk of any/all careers and activities that would fit under "joy" or would be conducive to "joy". You will then list all current things in your life that follow thte "stress" characteristic you discovered.

That should give you a huge list of activities, careers, that could bring you joy. And all the things currently in your life you must stop to get rid of the "stress". Some type of lifestyls or career-tract should then become mover obvious to pursue from this activity.

Good luck.

Archived