LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 19 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dating someone that's been to prison

Dating someone that's been to prison

As the title says really, what would you do? He seems nice enough, was up front about it and told me right from the beginning. He's went to prison when he was 28 and got out at 38, he's now 43.
    I really want to meet him, I mean we all have a past but I've never been in this situation before.

Well... what did he go for?

Platinum Member
    I would not meet him - he's a stranger and it's not like you two have mutual friends where you can find out information from sources other than him (and a background check). If he was in for 10 years then obviously it was something serious and also will affect his employment opportunities, etc. We "all have a past" makes no sense - it depends what is in the person's past and what your level of interaction will be - you are thinking of potentially dating this person and having him involved with you in your life, romantically. Why take the chance?

Yep... I suppose it would depend on what he had to serve 10 years for? Murder/rape/spousal abuse or he had an ounce of weed discovered on a random traffic stop.

10 years in prison? Sheesh. Yeah, we def need to know what he did 10 years for. Domestic violence, I would run. People can change, but I would tread very lightly.

Platinum Member
    If he was in there for such a long period, he did something very serious.

Is the man supply so low in your area that you want to date an ex con? I would not go forward with this.

It would depend on what he served time for.

If he killed someone in a car accident for example and served time for manslaughter (max 20 years, 10 years out on parole), to me that's forgivable. Murder, pedophilia, no effing way.

There are people who have really turned their lives around in prison, become educated, read lots of books, done a lot of introspection and self-reflection and actually come out better people than they were before serving time.

So I wouldn't rule it out, again it would depend on many factors.

OP, can you provide more context?

Platinum Member
    Be very cautious and donít meet him. Ten years in prison I donít think is a light sentence. Theres other guys that have no criminal record to date. Donít settle for someone who just got out of prison.

Gold Member
    Without sounding harsh, you’re not that desperate, are you? Find someone who hasn’t been in prison for the last ten years.

Originally Posted by Batya33
    I would not meet him - he's a stranger and it's not like you two have mutual friends where you can find out information from sources other than him (and a background check). If he was in for 10 years then obviously it was something serious and also will affect his employment opportunities, etc. We "all have a past" makes no sense - it depends what is in the person's past and what your level of interaction will be - you are thinking of potentially dating this person and having him involved with you in your life, romantically. Why take the chance?
    Yes it was serious.
    I totally get what your saying. But why tell me his past, if he hadn't I would of been none the wiser.

Page 1 of 19 1234 ... LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice