Can't handle the stress

NIN2000

Every job has stress but mine is in federal law enforcement; therefore, my average day is much more intense.

Under the current government shut-down, I am being forced to work in a very high stress job without pay. The stress of the work along with the unknown (how long is this going to last) is keeping me awake at night. I find myself focused/worried on my ability to pay my monthly bills and the lack of paycheck is making very uncomfortable. Many of my co workers are starting to call out sick, and taking work in construction, Uber, etc. The employees who remain are being forced to work longer hours -and for what?

I've always believed in facing life with all of its problems -face on. However, I am starting to realize that I can't handle this stress. As a stress reliever I go to the gym but that is not enough. I am actually considering going to therapy or trying other relaxation techniques. Does anyone have any suggestions on stress relief?

Every job has stress but mine is in federal law enforcement; therefore, my average day is much more intense.

Under the current government shut-down, I am being forced to work in a very high stress job without pay. The stress of the work along with the unknown (how long is this going to last) is keeping me awake at night. I find myself focused/worried on my ability to pay my monthly bills and the lack of paycheck is making very uncomfortable. Many of my co workers are starting to call out sick, and taking work in construction, Uber, etc. The employees who remain are being forced to work longer hours -and for what?

I've always believed in facing life with all of its problems -face on. However, I am starting to realize that I can't handle this stress. As a stress reliever I go to the gym but that is not enough. I am actually considering going to therapy or trying other relaxation techniques. Does anyone have any suggestions on stress relief?

Have you sent this message to your President? If you haven't, you should. I'm not sure why all of you people who are stressed and worried like you are don't all write a letter to him and tell him why he should stop being the bully that he is and negotiate what he wants without using you all as pawns to get his own way.

Maybe he needs to have a referendum vote by the people of the USA and see what the majority actually wants instead of him telling his lies about what they want. (of course you'd have to wait six months to get the count from Florida State but that's besides the point.

It's disgusting and the whole world is looking at him and what he is doing to all of you.

I am sorry you are being used in this way... please do something to let Trump know how you feel. In the meantime can you go to your doctor and get a form to go on short term disability based on your stress and mental health? I'd look into that because surely you will get benefits during this debacle?? yes? no?

Personally, I find being outdoors in nature extremely calming, even as simple as a walk around a park. Not so much a city park but heading out on some more wild trails nearby.

For others it's things like yoga or meditation. It's really kind of individual in terms of what resonates with you so you might want to try some things.

If you are brooding, watching a stand up comedy show or something lighthearted might actually work to get your mind out of a negative groove. Ditto for reading a book that you find absorbing. Sometimes relaxation and stress relief is about moving your mind into a different space and doing these kinds of things can help to force it under the principal that your brain can't think about two things at the same time.

Therapy or counseling never hurts and a good idea. The therapist might well have some good suggestions for you as well for what to try or do to relax.

But.....if the stress of your work is truly eating away at you too much (the whole shutdown thing aside) then you might also consider a career change. If you need to take meds to do your job or deal with your life, it's your clue that you need to change your life drastically.

yeah.. find another line of work. If you can't handle your job, or possibly not getting paid due to a shutdown... then you need to find a different job and work for the private sector.

That's all there is to it.

There has been a letter sent to employees to give to their creditors, so that perhaps the mortgage companies and utility companies will accept a delayed payment because of the partial gov't shutdown. There are also banks and credit unions willing to give loans up to $2500 for people in this situation, so check that out. There are always solutions to these short term problems. The gov't has never shut down for longer than 3 weeks, so hope for the best the pattern won't change and be for a longer period.

The answer to if you stop going to work? You won't get backpay for those days missed when the gov't reopens. You can stay home if you're sick, but need a doctor's note for more than 3 days missed. Beyond that, I don't know what the repercussions would be to essential personnel if they failed to show up day after day. I imagine they could be suspended or fired.

Archived