Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why canít my boyfriend see he is broke and tricking me otherwise?

That you know of. You have zero legal access to anything involving his net worth. Since you are not married or living together, in reality all you know about his finances is what he tells you/shows you. He can spend his money as he sees fit. He does not need to adopt your penny wise pound foolish miserly attitude. Perhaps he just tells you he's broke so you mind your own business. He got to this point in his life without your strange money micromanaging so, leave him alone.
    Originally Posted by Confused1623
    He has no other assets or retirement account. He is retirement age.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Confused1623
    After many years of my boyfriend getting his finances in order and with my non-financial support to help him budget as well as the financial gift from his family member, he tells me heís really happy with his finances so we can plan to live together. I told him I would only live with him if he is financially responsible like me.

Well here are the facts : bills are paid off except $1100 of current balances for credit cards with one payment due February 1 another shortly thereafter and except for some purchases over the next few weeks for the purposes of food and gas.

He is current on his rent and other obligations.
    He only has about $300 left in his checking account after paying bills pay but will get two paychecks this month and a security check so will have a lot more later in the month it will have to be used for first of the month bills again including rent.. He seems to be basically break even each month.

He has a small savings account I helped him set up with his own money that he deposits a small amount each month. He has some of the cash gift left at about $20,000. He has no other assets or retirement account.

He is retirement age. Now he says we are ďentitledď to take a vacation somewhere warm for a weekend and he wants to pay for it all! Really? I usually pay half why is he treating me to a vaca he canít afford ?? Is he trying to mislead me that he has it together and we can still have a nice life style so I donít leave him? Am I crazy and is he a hopeless case he still wants to live with me?
    Op, you haven't responded back, so hopefully you're reading the responses. It looks like you're committed to being with this man, so we can dismiss any comments of moving on from him. In that case, it's a financial matter. Only you, will know if his finances are compatible enough with yours in order to go forward.

If you decide to move forward with living with him, you will need to keep your finances separate from his (no co-mingling). You will then need to monitor the situation. Him taking you on a vacation, is the least of your concerns.

It looks like you have the savings/investments in the relationship, which means that you have the most to lose if things go bad. You'll need to protect yourself in that area. There is also the understanding that once you bring someone into your place, it can be difficult to remove them if need be.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Give Advice
Ask For Advice