Work related

sparklystars28

I feel like I suffered from anxiety all my life. I can’t figure out why, . I feel like it started when my grandmother got a slight stroke. Recently at work something seemed to have happened. I felt intimadated by this person and I think my anxiety showed through. She seems uncomfortable around me, and Idk why but I get just anxious.. I don’t understand I feel like co-workers noticed and are acting different. Or maybe I just think they are..I just don’t think I can work there anymore, what do I do?. I work in a school environment and I just want to leave.. I’ve pushed myself to stay there for a long time because I felt safe there. I feel as though as I am an introvert and shy/anxious and it takes a lot for me to talk to people. The problem I’m having is leaving because my nephew goes there and my niece. I haven’t told my family but want to.. I am at a loss.. should I go on medication would that help?!?

Medications can help you cope with the day to day anxiety but it's only a patch. Sort of like sticking chewing gum in the holes of a leaking boat. You need to work on the root causes through therapy and fix what's broken inside of you. It might happen after many years, it might not ever happen but a good competent therapist can help you deal with coping strategies so you wont be held back from progressing in work and doing trivial tasks such as grocery shopping without undue stress.

I had a similar problem about a year ago and literally could not leave my house for a month, I went to the doctor got on meds and started therapy and meditation. That all helped but it wasn’t until I shared what was happening with a manager at work that I felt comfortable going in. Is there someone you would feel comfortable opening up to at work? Someone you trust! Even having one person that knows what’s happening makes the world of difference.

I recommend this to anyone who will listen. Try EFT (emotional freedom technique) and TFT (thought field therapy). You can learn the former through youtube and do it in the comfort of your own home. It may feel silly and unfamiliar at first, but it's the best thing that has helped me work through difficult emotions/anxiety, etc.

I felt intimadated by this person and I think my anxiety showed through. She seems uncomfortable around me, and Idk why but I get just anxious.. I don’t understand I feel like co-workers noticed and are acting different. Or maybe I just think they are..I just don’t think I can work there anymore, what do I do?.

This doesn't really tell us anything. Who said what to whom? What happened, exactly?

While I agree with the suggestions to seek a professional assessment for your anxiety, that doesn't address your issue at work. Was it a confrontation?

Quitting any job just because you don't feel especially liked at work will land you unemployable. Most of us encounter stress on the job, and it's something we all need to learn how to manage. So I'd buck up, be professional and skip any focus on your popularity at the moment. If you cater to your anxiety without addressing it with a professional, you will wreck your life. Is that what you want?

Sounds like generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) which can be triggered by anything - I would suggest speaking with your DR getting a referral to a CBT (cognitive behavioral therapist) to help out, also possible trying to exercise or hanging out with friends more to relax yourself - I wouldn't go the Xanax/valium route just yet even though those will help

I have an anxiety disorder, along with a thyroid disorder. Not sure what came first and which one influences the other. But I've been through therapy, I have benefited with the help of medications and after several years of dedication, it is for the most part manageable, without any help.

Your issues at work sound like a bad case of low self esteem. The interactions you have add to that and trigger the `what's wrong with me' anxiety and then the cycle goes around and become a circle that repeats itself. You feel more insecure, the anxiety grows and around you go.

Quitting your job is not the answer. Facing the fear is. You overcoming your fears is what builds self esteem. Running from them reinforces them and makes things worse.

Anxiety is often about things we avoid and aren't willing to face. You develop a strong fight or flight reaction to things. It's unlearning this unhealthy dynamic that sets you free, but I suggest you do so with a professional, along with a doctor who can evaluate you and possibly put you on some mediation to ease the symptoms that might allow you to work through some of this more effectively.

I am sorry. I know first hand how painful it is. But there is help to get to the other side. You have to do the work though.

Sending you a hug. . and a gentle push to reach out for help.

Archived