Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Contract not renewed - heard it from HR not boss

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    74

    Contract not renewed - heard it from HR not boss

    I am on a yearly contract and my job is dependent on funding. We normally get notified by nov/early dec if our contract is renewed for the following year. I have been at my workplace for over 7 years with the same boss.
    From Nov I have been asking my boss every week if my contract will be renewed. He said that we were still waiting to hear back. On my last day of work for the year my boss acted like we may still get funding and he was expecting me to come back in the new year if we get the funding. The next day I get an email from HR saying that my contract wonít be renewed as we are unlikely to get the funding and my skills are different to what is required for the position.
    Iím angry and annoyed. This is not how my boss should have treated me. I still have not received an email or anything from my boss. I feel like the least he could do is email me to let me know. I understand in this line of work that contracts may not be renewed. I was expecting my contract to not get renewed, as it has happened to many people I know.
    I donít know what to do now. I feel like itís awkward now. Can I use him as a referee if I apply for future jobs? Do I want to use him as a referee? Do I wait for him to contact me? Or do I be the bigger person and email him?

  2. #2
    Platinum Member Wiseman2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Cloud Nine
    Posts
    30,492
    Gender
    Male
    Yes get a referral. Also tune up your resume and LinkedIn profile. It doesn't matter who you heard it from or what their protocol is. What matters is exiting gracefully and professionally and getting a good reference. You'll have to put this position down on your resume anyway as far as past experience and work history goes. Never burn bridges over petty things like who emailed you this determination, particularly since HR may be the ones handling that type of thing..
    Originally Posted by soulsista29
    I get an email from HR saying that my contract wonít be renewed as we are unlikely to get the funding and my skills are different to what is required for the position. Can I use him as a referee if I apply for future jobs?

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    83
    You're upset at your boss for not notifying you directly and you expand that to thinking your boss isn't going to give you a recommendation. That's not a logical course of thinking.

    Yes use him for a recommendation/referral, no to staying angry at your boss for something rather trivial in the scheme of things.

  4. #4
    Super Moderator annie24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Age
    38
    Posts
    46,903
    Yeah, I don't think your boss handled this well. Do you think your boss genuinely has your back? I definitely think that he should have told you or at least reached out to you after HR did. When is your last day? Will you see your boss again? Is there a possibility your boss will talk to you about this in the meeting? Sorry, more questions rather than answers from my part.

  5.  

  6. #5
    Platinum Member Wiseman2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Cloud Nine
    Posts
    30,492
    Gender
    Male
    Most bosses don't do the dirty work, including being the ax man.

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    83
    As the Wiseman said. That's what the HR department is for.

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    74
    Originally Posted by annie24
    Yeah, I don't think your boss handled this well. Do you think your boss genuinely has your back? I definitely think that he should have told you or at least reached out to you after HR did. When is your last day? Will you see your boss again? Is there a possibility your boss will talk to you about this in the meeting? Sorry, more questions rather than answers from my part.
    Yes I feel he should have reached out to me at least after HR did. My last day was before Xmas. I wonít be going into work again if I donít have to.

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    74
    Originally Posted by Normm
    As the Wiseman said. That's what the HR department is for.
    I know but in my workplace other bosses I know would have done the right thing and at least let them know a few weeks in advance. I mean I have been working with him for a long time.

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    74
    Originally Posted by Wiseman2
    Yes get a referral. Also tune up your resume and LinkedIn profile. It doesn't matter who you heard it from or what their protocol is. What matters is exiting gracefully and professionally and getting a good reference. You'll have to put this position down on your resume anyway as far as past experience and work history goes. Never burn bridges over petty things like who emailed you this determination, particularly since HR may be the ones handling that type of thing..
    Any suggestions on how I should approach him for a referral? What should I say in the email?

  11. #10
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    10,075
    Originally Posted by soulsista29
    Any suggestions on how I should approach him for a referral? What should I say in the email?
    "Thank you for the opportunity to work with you. Would you be willing to provide me with a reference?"

    And it is not a "referral". A referral would be your boss giving someone they know your contact information to consider for a job opening they have. A reference is a letter or email your former boss would write that can be attached to your resume when you apply for jobs.

    Unless your former boss knows of a specific job opening they wish to recommend you for, in that case it would be a referral.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •