LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lost rent money, having nervous breakdown

Lost rent money, having nervous breakdown

Hi guys, I was having a nice mellow day. Was checking out Barnes and Nobles than went to the atm and pulled out $300 for my rent. I was walking home, walked down a few blocks than noticed my money wan't in my pocket. I panicked, walked all the way back to the atm. Retraced all my steps, nowhere to be found. I even went to the restaurants that I walked past and asked the employees if anyone turned anything in and no results. Rent is $660 and only have $400 in my account. What do I do guys?

Platinum Member
    Do you have family who can loan you the extra money until you can pay them back?

Why are you paying your landlord for rent in cash as opposed to a cheque?

Anytime I had rented, it was always paid by cheque.

Otherwise, if you can’t get the money by the due date, maybe you can speak to your landlord, explain to them what happened, and provided they’re willing to cut you a (small) break (meaning, a bit more time to get the money together), let them know when you can get the balance of the rent money to them, at the earliest.

I wouldn’t hold out hope that the landlord will agree to above though, so keep doing what you can to get the money together, whether you have to borrow from a family member, friend, etc.

I’ve heard of landlords cutting a break under tough circumstances, but like I said, I wouldn’t hold my breath.

I wish I had a better answer for you. Sorry this happened, OP - what a pain!
    Last edited by milly007; 01-01-2019 at 10:28 PM.

Thank you very much for your responce. This has been very devastating to me. I have have been renting for a very long time, and have always been able to pay my rent. Never had a large sum of money fell out of my pocket before. This is very frightening, having my life on the line. I wanted to get some things done today but have just been sitting in my room crying for hours.

Oh my goodness. I am so sorry you're going through this.

Is it possible to get money loaned to you from either friends or family?

Try to stay calm right now and figure out ways to sort this out.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by people500
    Thank you very much for your responce. This has been very devastating to me. I have have been renting for a very long time, and have always been able to pay my rent. Never had a large sum of money fell out of my pocket before. This is very frightening, having my life on the line. I wanted to get some things done today but have just been sitting in my room crying for hours.
    Aw, I'm sorry you're feeling this way, people!

Do you have anyone who can loan you the money until you can pay them back?

Also, do you know your landlord personally?

Thank you for your kindness Sherry.

I called my parents and they said they can't help. I don't know her personally but have been renting her for over 3 years.

Sitting in your room crying is not going to help and yes I understand how upset you are. Seriously, you need to pay rent with a cheque, not cash. Someone probably found the money and kept it.

Talk to your landlord, tell him the truth, hope he will give you some time to pay him. Borrow from friends or family.

Platinum Member
    People,

I am so sorry you lost the money. In another thread you mentioned a savings account. Can't you take money from it?

Platinum Member
    First of all, call your landlord, tell them the story, and offer them half for now, and see if they can give you an extension on the remainder.

This sucks. I'm so sorry. I'd like to say I'm "smarter" than this, but I lost my credit card, debit card, and driver's license out of my pocket at a city parade last year. Lesson: learned....next time, I'll be more careful. I'm sure you will be too, but that's little comfort for you now. I'm sorry.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice