Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lost rent money, having nervous breakdown

Platinum Member
    How are you doing, people?

Not too good, my landlord wants the money asap, and haven't had any friends or family able to help. I'm very stressed out.

Originally Posted by people500
    Not too good, my landlord wants the money asap, and haven't had any friends or family able to help. I'm very stressed out.
    And you would, too. Try not to get too worried over them wanting to assert that standard rather than patting tenants on the back. It's nothing personal or necessarily even meaningful that they don't chance a forgiving attitude being taken advantage of. If you'd lived or understood a landlord's situation, you'd know it would hardly be worth giving up what you know from the last three years to be a peaceful and reliable source of income over a one-time late payment.

You need to be more financially responsible going forward. Money never should be thrown in a pocket it belongs in a wallet or equivalent. If you find that you have no monetary reserves you need to make changes in how you spend money and also consider working more. Otherwise you'll be living paycheck to paycheck for the rest of your life. This month it's lost cash, next month could be a car repair or a health issue that prevents you from working. This incident really blows but it's only a blip on the radar of your entire life.

As far as your landlord goes, it's not that easy to kick somebody out, it can take months. Tenants have rights. Even if they are behind on rent. Use the time to build those reserves and get solvent again.

Agreed ^^ tell him it wonít be possible but offer him some collateral.

Originally Posted by people500
    ASAP isn't a deadline. Don't worry too much about it. Pay a little extra with each month's rent until you make up the difference.

Even in the unlikely event that the the landlord took you to court, he/she would have a hard time successfully evicting you if you've been making good faith payments.

As the others said above which echos my post. If you're a good tenant he won't want to go to the hassle of evicting you, and even if he tried, it would take time and money on his part that he might not get back even if the lease says the loser in an action pays the legal fees. And others have said a court might not even approve the eviction if you're paying the back rent in regular installments. So breathe.. lots of people are where you are now and they get through it.

P.S. Even if you don't have a lease he still can't just kick you out, in fact not having a lease makes the situation more favorable for you. I'm a landlord with 2 rental apartments and have been through many tenants over the past 20 years, so I generally speak from experience.

Platinum Member
    I really like everyoneís advice here.

Donít fret, OP.

Iím not sure about the laws where you are, but normally landlord & tenant laws tend to favour the tenant. Further to that, I assume youíve already provided the landlord with a partial rent payment, so youíll have the final payment to them soon enough on January 11th.

I know some of the others already mentioned this, but it takes quite some time for a landlord to evict, thatís IF the landlord was even considering this as a possibility. Iím betting that although the landlord wants the money right away, theyíre just hoping youíll get the remaining amount to them on the 11th, because they donít want to go through the eviction process (itís a pain in the a$$). Plus, the cost do so would outweigh the benefit of even bothering (and would be more than the amount you owe them, Iím guessing. So it just wouldnít be worth pursuing right now).

So donít worry, OP. As Normm mentioned, as much as this may suck right now, this incident is just a small blip on the radar of life.
    Last edited by milly007; 01-03-2019 at 07:35 PM.

According to rules from around where I live, the tenant has up till the 15th to make full payment on rent. Only after the 15th is the landlord allowed to start the eviction process.

Did you sign a lease or paperwork when you moved in stating when the rent has to be paid? Even so, as others mentioned, it's not usual to be able to toss you out due to non payment unless it's past the 15th, nor is it an easy process.

Try to remain calm. Do you have a rentalsman service or anything like that around where you live? It's a service that provides information and help when dealing with your landlord. They can be very helpful in these cases and most times, it's a free service.
    Check to see if there is anything available like this where you are.

In future, try to use your bankcard at a service that can make a money order or have personal cheques. This way no money is involved, thus no money to lose.
    Even if you lost the cheque, it's easy enough to cancel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Give Advice
Ask For Advice