Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lost rent money, having nervous breakdown

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by people500
    I called my parents and they said they can't help. I don't know her personally but have been renting her for over 3 years.
    Ok, so if you know that you can't borrow the money from someone else and that you won't be able to get the money in time, contact the landlord asap.

If you've been renting from this landlord for three years, and have always paid on time, the landlord may be more forgiving.

Call them, explain what happened, and see if you can negotiate more time to pay the balance of the rent that's owed. Make sure they're aware of the fact that you have always paid your rent on time, and that you have done so for the past three years.

Do you have funds coming into your bank account any time soon, people?

I'm so sorry that this happened. Why can't you pay your rent by transferring the money to their bank account? It's much safer.

But I'd try to call other family members if possible (since your parents can't borrow you money) to ask to borrow for money. If they can't and if you've always payed rent on time, I'd call the landlord and explain the situation and ask if you can pay a part now and pay the remainder later.

I get paid last Friday, then get paid on the 11th. Thank you for all your support everyone.

I get paid last Friday, then get paid on the 11th. Thank you for all your support everyone.
    So maybe you can ask to pay the remainder on the 11th. It's not such a long time, I'm sure they'll understand.

Platinum Member
    So if you paid half the rent now (as LH suggested - because, yeah... you need money in the bank to survive until you're paid on the 11th), you can advise the landlord that the earliest you can pay the remaining amount will be on January 11th, your next pay day.

Let us know how everything works out, people!

Platinum Member
    The other thing you could do, in addition to offering half now, is to offer the other half in collateral. Do you have a watch, an iPad, anything of value, that you could offer to your landlord to hold in the meantime, as a measure of good faith? I would first try the explanation/half payment offer, but if they balk at the suggestion, then offer collateral.

I'm so sorry! You can get through this. Try to breathe.

What is the rental agreement where you live? Do you know the formal policy - it may be on your lease ?
    In some cases, delayed payment is possible except there is an extra initial late charge and then additional by the day.

Are you aware of the actual consequences for first time delayed payment? Or are you freaking out jumping to worse possible conclusions right now?

Yes, let us know how it goes, People.

Crossing fingers for you and hoping your landlord will be reasonable.

I'd just get in touch with whomever you normally hand your rent to and let them know your intention to pay the difference on the 11th. If you're paying cash, I doubt they'd be so strict / formal to hand you a pay-or-quit on the 6th. And unless your place is rent-stabilized, it's difficult to imagine what incentive they could possibly have to if you've been paying faithfully these last three years.

It's easy to be afraid of landlords, and I'm not saying you should take it as license to be a d1ck, but it takes a pretty rare day and a rare tenant to make it worth the hassle to evict a reliable source of income for three years because they once paid five days after the grace period.

I'd contact the bank to have them review the 'eye in the sky' around the machine. That could point to forgetting to take the cash (and which customer came behind you) or otherwise might show how the money exited your possession.

Also, why pay rent in cash rather than a check or money order that would prevent a need to walk around with wads of cash?

I'd explain the shortage to the landlord along with a date you can pay the rest. A 3 year tenant is not something your landlord wants to evict over a single incident.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice