Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do I ignore this or bring it up?

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by j.man
    Oh man, that's a good one.
    I agree. As much as I feel like pulling the Mom Card now and then I know that I shouldn't. Exceptions are if the mother does a particular routine that the father never does, he should defer -but also vice versa. It's not gender based as much as common sense although on a practical level when I was home full time for 7 years I certainly knew more about certain aspects of our child's routine. Typically not an issue as he deferred - it made sense to do so.

Silver Member
    The baby was fussy and dad suspected it was because she was feeling hot. I suspect dad was also feeling really hot since this was his immediate solution to the issue at hand. I suspect dad was also feeling rather moody in his hot discomfort and rather than fussing and whining and tantruming, because he's an adult after all, he saw an opportunity to excuse himself, cool off, and get the baby calmed down as well. This leaves mom to enjoy her family and remove the fussy toddler, so the family could relax and enjoy each other.

Tell me about your house, OP. Do your parents keep the temperature hot and toasty? Guests who don't keep the house temperature that high are going to feel very uncomfortable unless they know in advance to dress in layers and strip down accordingly. Even then, they may need to seek a chill on the porch or sit by a window. Perhaps your parents can turn the temperature down a couple notches when they are hosting and make use of an extra sweater so that guests don't melt.

The baby was fine and a few minutes at 40 degrees is nothing. With babies, we tend to use ourselves to gauge issues with these young sprouts who cannot voice themselves, and dad was very likely feeling like he might just combust from the heat, and the baby was fussy, so let's put two and two together, assume the baby was roasting, and take a chill. He's too polite to tell your parents your house is an oven, and his wife, your sister, their daughter, isn't opening up her mouth either...it's not her house...but maybe this is a cue to your parents to pay attention to the temperature. With cooking and extra people in the house, the temperature probably increased a little, and they could maybe keep the thermostat a degree or two lower? They can always turn it up, but start low.

If I were going to bring anything up with my sister, it would be whether or not the house was a raging inferno.

It was about 40 degrees Fahrenheit and they were out there for about 5 minutes
    In my opinion, no biggie. My grandma used to put us out on an enclosed balcony when we were babies in the middle of winter. She had a belief that cold fresh air was good for the lungs. We spent way more time out there then 5 minutes and me, nor my cousins suffered from it.

He took the little one out there for 5 minutes? She should be fine.

People don't realize that babies are for all intents and purposes human just like we are, and get hot the same way we do. Granted they do lose heat more quickly from their little bodies but a few minutes in 4c weather is nothing! I go out without a coat on all the time (I live in Canada) unless it's minus 0c or below.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Originally Posted by maew
    People don't realize that babies are for all intents and purposes human just like we are, and get hot the same way we do. Granted they do lose heat more quickly from their little bodies but a few minutes in 4c weather is nothing! I go out without a coat on all the time (I live in Canada) unless it's minus 0c or below.
    The same for me. I live in Canada as well and sometimes I go out without a coat when itís even lower than that . And in fact to have proper tightness in a car seat a child should not be wearing a coat . They should be wearing some layers and then their car seat covered with a blanket .

Newborns canít regulate their own body temperature but by one you certainly can . If a one-year-old is cold they will start to shiver and complain just like she complained about being too hot . You certainly donít need to have it for it to be an inferno in house for a toddler . They donít even recommend for you to cover your toddlers and infants with blankets in their crib . Iíve looked after kids professionally and otherwise for more than 20 years . I also own my own daycare . I have looked after children for CAS and raised my own child.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Give Advice
Ask For Advice